Re: Capture Data for Job Title

Anonymous
Not applicable

Capture Data for Job Title

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has  a great way of capturing and normalizing this data for a text field. We have so many programs in our marketo instance that require this data to be easily read to fire off engagement streams and score leads. However, we are finding it difficult to catch everyone due to the job title field being a text field. We want to keep the text field but are trying to work out logic that will allow us to score people accurately and fire off emails with accuracy based on this field. We currently have a "contains" filter that looks at different variations of job titles but this is just not sufficient enough and people are slipping through the cracks.

Does anyone have any best practice or have run into this before and come out with a reliable solution? Other than create a drop down field...

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

http://developers.marketo.com/blog/how-to-clean-your-marketo-database/

What I would do is run a daily batch and do;

Job Title Smart Lists  to align to a Role field. The Role field is a picklist that only you see.

This won't be perfect, but it will help you.

Alternatively, you can start to put your Role field on Forms and leave Job Title as a progressive field or just as an option.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Similar to what Josh suggested, we use two fields in Marketo (in addition to the "Job Title" field) to help us better normalize our data for filtering and segmentation purposes:

Functional Role:

pastedImage_0.png

Job Role:

pastedImage_1.png

We then run daily batch campaigns to set the correct values:

pastedImage_5.png

Here's the one for Functional Role: Marketing:

pastedImage_6.png

And finally, we have a PERSONA segmentation that uses a combination of the FR and JR to create appropriate personas.  For example "Marketing", "Executive Officer" and "Senior Executive" is our "CMO" persona.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

I think you need something like 'wildcard' pattern matching against your job title 'text' field.

See if this post on Linkedin can help.

Marketo Magic: Wild Card for Filters