Canada's Anti-Spam Regulation is going into effect July 1, 2014

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Canada's Anti-Spam Regulation is going into effect July 1, 2014

Hello,

Does anyone have advice or ideas on how to track this using programs/campaigns in Marketo?

I agree that the new requirement for Canada is that we need to track the last "inquiry" made, and if more than six months ago, then register that consent has expired.

Thanks,
Michelle

Caryl_Mostacho
Level 7 - Champion Alumni

Hi Michelle, 

I think the 6 month expiry is only if your form is implied.  

You can go from "create date" of the lead in your system, which should be the day the lead inquired. If you're business is like ours and you have the same lead inquiring months later you can create another field to track these newer inquiries.  We use a field called Most Recent Inquiry date which updates every time they submit a form on our website.  

You can use a trigger campaign that updates this field every time a Marketo form is submitted so that the most recent date is listed in your data base. Then when you are creating your communications just make sure that you are referencing this field in your smart lists for anyone that has not "opted in" for Marketing communications and would be considered implied.

Caryl

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Caryl,

Thanks for the ideas and info. I'm wondering what to do with existing contacts in the database that currently have implied consent. If the lead filled out a form (6+ months) ago? I'm not sure there's a way in Marketo to get that data (if Marketo stores activty for 90 days).

Thoughts?

Thanks much,
Michelle
Caryl_Mostacho

Hi Michelle, 

As far as I know, You have 3 years to move them to expressed according CASL! 

You should know when they first inquired based on created date in your database.   We use salesforce so our created date field for our data base is SFDC Create Date. 

Caryl_Mostacho

If anyone is interested in the webcast here's the link. 
I missed it because it was done on a holiday here in Canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBhlp-IlM5o

Caryl

Anonymous
Not applicable

The webcast on the new Canadian spam law was done on a Canadian holiday??? That is too funny! Thanks for the link!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Subscribing