Re: Can you track a pdf download if it is set up as an image file?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you track a pdf download if it is set up as an image file?

Hi,
We recently used Marketo to host a direct pdf download in several social media campaigns. I now want to report on how many people viewed this file but it doesn't seem to show up under web page or landing page reports since it's categorized under 'Files and Images'. Does anyone know if it's possible to report on this?

Best,
Angela
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no direct tracking for downloads of files in Files and Images, but you can use the click on the link as a proxy for that.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Elliot for confirming my suspicion. The problem with 'clicks link' is that it only works when it is sent in an email and this particular download was promoted on social media platforms only.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point!  If you are using a service like bit.ly to compress your URLs, of if you are using Marketo's Social Share feature, you should be able to see how many times that link has been clicked, but you won't be able to attribute it to an individual. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you put each PDF on its own landing page so you track how many people end up on that page? I know that would be extra work, but you would be able to track visits to those landing pages. That is what we have done for high value PDF content.
Leticia_DoPrado
Level 5

This is helpful, but doesn't Marketo only track web page visits for 90 days?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yes, but it's the same for any historical activity. You have to stamp {{trigger.web page}} to a field and/or transform the event into an IM and/or Program status.

6-year-old thread, though.

Fernando_Garci1
Level 3

6 years and no movement on improving this! I'm hoping that as the Adobe/Marketo integration deepens, AEM Assets will replace the OOTB "Images and Files" functionality in Marketo, which would make reporting on this information MUCH easier. If anyone has thoughts on this, please like and comment on the following thread so we can achieve a nice integration. https://nation.marketo.com/thread/49407-integration-with-adobe-assets 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Andrea-
Just like Carey we do a fulfillment page with a download link that would allow you to track how many people got to the fulfillment page (for the PDF) and even the clicks on the LP.  We do this so that we can unique track how effective our assets are with and without registration in a single program.