SOLVED

Re: Can you find out (through a smart list or similiar) when the munchkin cookie was first dropped on a visitor?

Go to solution
Sarah_Hare
Level 2

Can you find out (through a smart list or similiar) when the munchkin cookie was first dropped on a visitor?

I'm wanting to look at and try and work out some typical client paths through our website for visitors and for those that went on to become clients.

Is it possible to reference a field in Marketo that will tell me the date someone first visited our site? Created seems to be the date they identified themselves to us rather than when they first visited...

Hoping someone can assist.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Can you find out (through a smart list or similiar) when the munchkin cookie was first dropped on a visitor?

Is it possible to reference a field in Marketo that will tell me the date someone first visited our site?

Yes and no. You can create such a field, call it onSiteSinceDatetime, and fill it automatically going forward, but you would need to backfill your existing leads. You'd do this by extracting the Cookies field.

The key to the process is that the _mkto_trk cookie itself contains the millisecond timestamp you want.* So you can convert that to a Datetime and upsert it onto the lead. 

* Unless you're customizing the cookie, which is almost never done except for by crazy people like me.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can see Anonymous to Known info on the record usually because the log entries go further into the past than their Known or FOF date.

But you have to dig into that. I believe there is info in the Anonymous Tracking deprecation from 2016.

You may be able to use the munchkin API to better manage the data to be visible for you. The bulk API could extract this data and let you analyze it.

SanfordWhiteman

The bulk API could extract this data and let you analyze it.

Lotta work to go back years just for this.

Sarah_Hare
Level 2

Thanks - not the answer I wanted but the one I suspected! Thank you.

Sarah_Hare
Level 2

Thanks again Sanford - a little crazy would be good! I will look into it.

SanfordWhiteman

Is it possible to reference a field in Marketo that will tell me the date someone first visited our site?

Yes and no. You can create such a field, call it onSiteSinceDatetime, and fill it automatically going forward, but you would need to backfill your existing leads. You'd do this by extracting the Cookies field.

The key to the process is that the _mkto_trk cookie itself contains the millisecond timestamp you want.* So you can convert that to a Datetime and upsert it onto the lead. 

* Unless you're customizing the cookie, which is almost never done except for by crazy people like me.