SOLVED

Can you create a PUT webhook type in Marketo?

Go to solution
Troy_Larson
Level 3

Can you create a PUT webhook type in Marketo?

Hey all -

I'm working with my developer and we have a question, we're hoping someone can help us with - Does Marketo's Webhook capability have an option for PUT request type rather than just a GET or Post? Are there any known workarounds available from within Marketo to get a PUT request type?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Can you create a PUT webhook type in Marketo?

The only workaround would be if your web server supports the non-standard-but-sometimes-supported _method=PUT query override.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman

The only workaround would be if your web server supports the non-standard-but-sometimes-supported _method=PUT query override.

Troy_Larson
Level 3

Thanks @SanfordWhiteman, good to know.

Kurt_Koller
Level 4

I'd personally love to see this, I just ran into this where we were hoping to do a pretty great integration with something, and it requires PUT for updates and we can't call it even with ?_method=PUT

Tags (1)
Kurt_Koller
Level 4

I created an idea for this here:

https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Ideas/Webhooks-support-additional-methods-PUT-DELETE/idi-p/312235

since we have the same need. Upvote it if you want the additional method support, if it gets enough votes maybe it'll happen.

SanfordWhiteman

I'd think — based on the fact that you were expecting webhook-level volume — you could accomplish this at little to no cost by using Amazon API Gateway to put up a proxy resource that only transforms POST to PUT.  (AWS APIGW only starts to have appreciable cost in the millions of calls.)

Kurt_Koller
Level 4

Sanford -

I'll just say that whenever we work with clients, particularly larger ones, this kind of solution almost always results in a no-go. We can't provide that on our AWS for our clients because security people don't like it/won't have it. If we suggest this to clients, even if they have AWS, many clients marketing departments and IT departments don't work well enough together, IT says it has to go through security review, etc, and these things typically don't get off the ground. Would save many hors and projects by offering it right in the webhook itself.

- KK

SanfordWhiteman

Of course, I'm speaking on technical grounds.

Though from a security standpoint, running every Marketo integration (inbound REST and outbound webhook) via an API gateway offers higher security (provided the gw itself is approved).  You can, for example, prevent an integration from updating any fields you don't pre-approve, which is impossible using Marketo alone.

Kurt_Koller
Level 4

Sanford,

Could I bring you in pro bono to back me up in meetings, especially with enterprise clients? You could back up things I say about security, and you could probably also help with the 400 meetings that will happen when you try to get a proxy set up within a large company's infrastructure, either a standalone proxy or with AWS.

Or like, PUT/DELETE could be added to the methods and save everyone involved 4000 man hours of meetings.

Or nothing can happen. I put it in as an idea, if it goes it goes.

Have a good one!

Kurt