SOLVED

Re: Can we track clicks on a 3rd party webpage?

Go to solution
Tori_Jeffers1
Level 1

Can we track clicks on a 3rd party webpage?

This might be the basic of basic questions but is it possible to track clicks on a third-party website (WordPress) using Munchkin code or can we only track by using forms? 

I've been asked to create a smart campaign listening for people to click on a Marketo-hosted PDF on our Resource Page which is hosted by WordPress. I've been unsuccessful so far even after using tips I've seen here. Our issue is that we don't want to necessarily gate this content but we want to see who has viewed it and eventually set up alerts for our SDRs. 

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The page is running Munchkin, and that link is certainly being logged via Clicks Link on Web Page:

pastedImage_1.png

You need to be extremely sure that the lead has an associated Munchkin session, of course. Otherwise the clicks will be logged, but anonymous, and will not appear in their Activity Log.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Carrie_Chandle1
Level 6 - Community Advisor

Hi Tori - does the Wordpress site you're talking about already have Munchkin tracking? You should be able to see which known visitors have clicked that PDF link using a "Clicked Link on Web Page" filter. Remove the "https://" at the beginning of the PDF URL... the same would be true for a listening campaign, just use the "Clicks Link on Web Page" trigger.

pastedImage_1.png

Tori_Jeffers1
Level 1

Hi Carrie, 

Thank you for your prompt response. I've been told it does have Munchkin code, though I don't have visibility into our WordPress instance to personally confirm it. I've tried creating campaigns using the trigger and batch that you mentioned already but it's still not tracking people. 

I'm assuming that if there's munchkin code on the page that the record should say "visit web page" right? If that's not showing up would that mean that there's so munchkin code on the page?

SanfordWhiteman

Please provide the URL of the page. Then we can debug it.

Tori_Jeffers1
Level 1

Here's the web page: AMS Health Check | YourMembership Resource Center 

The CTA I'm trying to listen to is the 'Download ROI Calculator' toward the bottom. 

SanfordWhiteman

The page is running Munchkin, and that link is certainly being logged via Clicks Link on Web Page:

pastedImage_1.png

You need to be extremely sure that the lead has an associated Munchkin session, of course. Otherwise the clicks will be logged, but anonymous, and will not appear in their Activity Log.

Tori_Jeffers1
Level 1

Hmm that's strange since I'm testing it using my personal email that's in the system and should be associated. Thank you though, I'll let my team know.