SOLVED

Re: Can we see anonymous activity in reports?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we see anonymous activity in reports?

Hello,

I have a rather newbie question.

We have a page with munchkin tacking enabled on it. On the page reside a bunch of case studies which are ungated.

We want to see who clicks the link on that page. This is easy enough to check if someone is a known lead in the system. However, is it possible to see who clicked the link if they are not in the system (i.e. anon)?

I was using the Web Page Activity report and set it to anonymous, but is there any other way where I can just run the filter of Clicked Link on Web Page?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Marketo is very good for tracking activities that ​once were ​anonymous, but not while they're ​still ​anonymous.

If you're exposing your pages to the public (i.e. not driving traffic solely via email to known leads) you should always use another tool, just as you would on your corporate site, to track page actions in detail while the Munchkin session is still anonymous.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman

I was using the Web Page Activity report and set it to anonymous, but is there any other way where I can just run the filter of Clicked Link on Web Page?

What's wrong with the output from the WPA report?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue is that we can only see the entry landing page in the report ( which is the page which houses all of the assets). We want to be able to see who clicked on a specific link on that page. So I can do this for leads that are in the system, but I want to know if it's possible for unknowns.

SanfordWhiteman

Filter the WPA on that activity.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can only do that for known leads. The moment you change the setup of the report to track Anonymous, you only have a few inferred person attributes to use filters with.

SanfordWhiteman

Ah, I guess so. Feels like a new restriction; I don't use Marketo for tracking anonymous activity much. I would look at your standard web analytics for this (Clicky, Piwik, GA, etc.).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I feared as much. So there is no way to track anonymous clicks through Marketo reporting?

SanfordWhiteman

Marketo is very good for tracking activities that ​once were ​anonymous, but not while they're ​still ​anonymous.

If you're exposing your pages to the public (i.e. not driving traffic solely via email to known leads) you should always use another tool, just as you would on your corporate site, to track page actions in detail while the Munchkin session is still anonymous.