SOLVED

Re: Can we remove the confirmation process for unsubscribing?

Go to solution
Eve_Yu
Level 2

Can we remove the confirmation process for unsubscribing?

Can we change the unsubscribe process in Marketo? Currently, we use an unsubscribe form, once people click the unsubscribe link from the email. They will go to the unsubscribe page, then they need to enter their email address and click the confirm button to unsubscribe. In this case, people may think they've already unsubscribed after clicking the unsubscribe link, but in fact, if they want to unsubscribe, they still need to click the confirm link.  So we want to check if we can remove the confirmation process for unsubscribing? Once people click the unsubscribe link, they will unsubscribe successfully.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Eve,

You really should not do what you are thinking of. Anti-phishing / link scanner software are clicking on all the links in your emails to check they are not dangerous URLs. If you unsubscribe people on a email link click, every of you customer equipped with a recent version of security software will be automatically unsubscribed.

Now, if you really want to go that route, the difficulty is that Marketo does not generate a "click link" event on this specific link. So you can either remove the specific codes in the link or use a "visits web page" trigger.

-Greg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Eve,

You really should not do what you are thinking of. Anti-phishing / link scanner software are clicking on all the links in your emails to check they are not dangerous URLs. If you unsubscribe people on a email link click, every of you customer equipped with a recent version of security software will be automatically unsubscribed.

Now, if you really want to go that route, the difficulty is that Marketo does not generate a "click link" event on this specific link. So you can either remove the specific codes in the link or use a "visits web page" trigger.

-Greg

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Agree.

Also, with GDPR, you want to build out a subs mgmt center and not rely on clicks at all.

Mark_McGriff
Level 3

Follow up question regarding the unsubscribe confirmation page.

I just got a snarky response from someone who unsubscribed from our emails because they received an unsubscribe confirmation page once they unsubscribed. I've looked all through my instance but cannot find where such a page exists. Is there such an animal? And, if is does exist, can it be disabled so people will not receive another page after unsubscribing?

thanks, Mark

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

How did they unsubscribe? Does your form have a separate Thank You URL?

Mark_McGriff
Level 3

Hi Sanford, 

I was able to find the two unsubscribe pages (page 1. unsubscribe, page 2. Thank you for unsubscribing)

Can't figure out how to disable #2.

Okay, I think I may have found it. When I go to edit the unsubscribe page there's a filter  for the Thank You Page. But as as now it looks like it's set to stay on the page. Which doesn't seem correct? Could I just remove the choice here to stop the thank you page?

pastedImage_1.png

SanfordWhiteman

In Form Editor, go to the Settings » Settings page.

Mark_McGriff
Level 3

I think I'm almost there Sanford, thank you. But it doesn't seem to give me the option to remove the thank you page?

SanfordWhiteman

You can't have no Thank You page whatsoever. Note Stay on page is actually a misnomer, it's actually Refresh same page.*

If Stay on page isn't solving it, are sure you don't have JavaScript on the page (using the Forms 2.0 JS API) that overrides the Thank You and takes the person to the other URL?

*BDThis is really deep in the code.