Can the Email Subject be used as a token within the Email itself?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can the Email Subject be used as a token within the Email itself?

Hi there,

Sorry if this is a basic question. I've been combing the discussions and internet for an exact answer but haven't been able to find one.

Is there a token that allows me to reference the email subject within the email itself? I am trying to pass the subject line as a parameter within a link in the email for tracking purposes, but I'm unsure how to go about that.

E.g.

Subject = "Hello-World"

URL (in email) = "www.xyzcompany.com/buyourproductsplz.aspx?email-source=Hello-World"

3 REPLIES 3
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Can the Email Subject be used as a token within the Email itself?

There are no asset/email-based tokens to use.  However, you can use tokens in your subject line.  Simply define a local {{my.subjectline}} token in the program and insert it into the email subject line.  You can then use this same token in the URL parameter value within your URL.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good idea. That would have to be set up on a template by template basis, however, correct? The client I'm working with has an entire department of campaign managers living in Marketo. I'm wary that they'll all follow the practice to set this up!

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

What you would do is create a program template that included this "subject line" token.  Then each time someone needed to send out a new email campaign, they would need to be sure they defined the value of that subject line token.  Setting up program templates with as many pre-defined elements (smart campaigns, tokens, etc) makes for a very scalable model which would work great in this situation.  But the key is to ensure that the field has received the appropriate training to properly customize the programs - that are based on these templates.  This is why we have a dedicated/core Marketo Operations team that does all of this.  The field has very limited access to Marketo since it's very easy to mess something up if you're not using it day-in and day-out.