SOLVED

Re: Can't figure out why engagement program won't send

Go to solution
Stephanie_Berr2
Level 2

Can't figure out why engagement program won't send

I know engagement programs can get complicated but I've done a few of them in Marketo and have some active now, but this latest engagement program I built, I can't get it to actually cast the emails and I can't figure out why.

Marketo support mentioned that contacts who are members of the nested programs won't get casts, but I don't have any members in my nested programs, so that's not the answer. Can anyone help?

01-Stream01-Stream02-Stream On02-Stream On03-Stream 2 Transition03-Stream 2 Transition04-Stream 2 Transition Detail04-Stream 2 Transition Detail05-Email 1 Program Sent Smart List05-Email 1 Program Sent Smart List06-Email 1 Program Sent Flow06-Email 1 Program Sent Flow07-Email 2 Program Sent Smart List07-Email 2 Program Sent Smart List08-Email 2 Program Sent Flow08-Email 2 Program Sent Flow09-Add to Nurture Campaign09-Add to Nurture Campaign

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Stephanie_Berr2
Level 2

@Michael_Florin Someone else at Marketo support took over my ticket and was able to find the issue yesterday...

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.35.16 AM.png

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Marketo support mentioned that contacts who are members of the nested programs won't get casts

The program doesn't need to be nested. I guess the correct wording would be: Persons who are already members of the Content Program won't get casts.

Might that be the case here? I don't think you can ever use a program status change in a Content Program to trigger an Engagement Program send.

Sorry if I am off here. It's hard to re-engineer your whole process. 😉

Stephanie_Berr2
Level 2

But that's what I don't get. I don't have anyone in the email program. I do have folks in the engagement program waiting to be cast to, but the emails just aren't sending.

0 people in Email Program0 people in Email Program5 people in Engagement Program5 people in Engagement Program

Cory_Gabor1
Level 4

Hi @Stephanie_Berr2 Based on your smart list within the nested program, the records need to be on the Marketable smart list or on your static seed list. Did you confirm that all 5 records are on the Marketable smart list or even the seed list so they meet this logic? 

If they aren't, that would be your issue. 

Thanks,

Cory Gabor

Marketing Consultant

LeadMD 

Stephanie_Berr2
Level 2

@Cory_Gabor1 yes, the five members of the engagement program are in the static seed list.

Oz_Platero
Level 6

Hello @Stephanie_Berr2 ,

Starting from screenshot #6.  Go to the next tab "schedule" and see what it says next to : "Set to affect around"

Stephanie_Berr2
Level 2

@Oz_Platero Screenshot #6 is actually for the second email in the stream. On the schedule tab this is currently showing that it will affect 0 leads. But if I look at the first email in the stream, it also shows that it's set to affect 0 leads, even though there are 5 test leads in the engagement program waiting to receive that first email.

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Hey Stephanie,

even after contemplating on your setup some more I don't find the error. One last try: Can it be you're violating global Communication Limits? Have you looked at the Activity History of your 5 test records to see if there's any indication as to why the email wasn't sent?

And two opinions on your general setup:

1. On 05-Email 1 Program Sent Smart List, you have the filter "Engagement Program Cadence = Normal". I think it's redundant, so I'd remove it. Engagement Programs will send to normal cadence persons only anyways.

2. I personally - and I know many others have expressed the same preference here - don't like how Marketo visualizes Transition Rules. That's why many people opt to not use them, but place all transitions in standard Smart Campaigns in a folder like "Nurture Control" underneath your Engagement Program. You can name these Campaigns, so it becomes instantly apparent what they are doing.

Michael_Florin2_0-1584959532991.png

Stephanie_Berr2
Level 2

@Michael_Florin 

I looked in the activity history of these leads, they haven't hit the communication limit. The leads do show that the email from stream 1 was sent to them in the test, but that email never made it's way through to the inbox (spam or otherwise).

I like your idea about the transition rules, so I've created a separate campaign to manage that action. However, I'm not able to clear out what I have currently in the transition rules in the stream. Is there a trick to remove these now that I'm missing?

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Yes, that's funky too. You just have to delete the filters. The triggers can't be deleted, they will magically go away after you delete the filters.

One more try: Your 5 leads don't happen to have "Unsubscribed = TRUE"?