Re: Can't Link Directly to Homepage via Marketo Emails

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Can't Link Directly to Homepage via Marketo Emails

Hey Guys, having a little bit of a weird issue.

Whenever I send out an email and include a link to our direct homepage, the link does not work. However, if I include a link to a page on our website, it works correctly.

Example: http://www.ourpage.com/home/tabid/233/language/en-us/mkt_tok=3rkmmjwwff9wsroksq/lzkxonjhpfsx66+wkwkk...

- this is how the homepage URL ends up rendering, for some reason the "tabid" is added after "/home" as well as "language", etc. Basically, it's adding a bunch of extra stuff before the mkt_tok, which is odd.

This is an example of what a proper link looks like (if we link to any page but our homepage): http://www.ourpage.com/contact-us?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRoksq%2FLZKXonjHpfsX66%2BwkWKK3lMI%2F0ER3fOvr... 

Anyone know why the homepage URL is being rendered differently, causing the link to be broken? These are just example URLs by the way.

6 REPLIES 6
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Malik,

In the first URL, the ? is missing just before the mkt_tok.

It seems to me that your web server or your CMS are using rules that are incorrectly configured and causing the wrong URL to be set.

-Greg

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Yea I noticed that too, is this something that a dev would have to take a look at? And are you saying this isn't a Marketo issue?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi again Malik,

Yes, I think it's not a Marketo issue.

-Greg

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Your server is trying to use the querystring for navigation and since there's no page corresponding to that string, it fails.  You'll need to get in touch with whomever owns your server to configure it to ignore mkt_tok parameters.  In the meantime you could add the mktNoTok class to your homepage links which will prevent this query string from being added, though you will lose some tracking functionality.

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Any implications of ignoring of mtk_tok parameters?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

There are no implications if your server ignores mkt_tok.  It has no meaning there.