Re: Can pdf's behave as webpages in smart campaign filters?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can pdf's behave as webpages in smart campaign filters?

I am trying to track views of certain pdf on our site. This pdf is stored in the media library and has its own url, but is not technically a page and Marketo does not recognize it as one.

Is there a way to make it a filterable page? For example the campaign smart list would be "visits webpage - webpage is = "http://www.domain_name.com/images/file.pdf". At the moment only actual pages show up as allowable webpages, but I would also like to use pdf files stored in the media library...

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I moved your post to the Products and Support​ where you should get an answer faster.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Scott!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If all the sources of visits to the PDF are either HTML links on your webpages or clickable links in emails, you'll always get an activity to filter on, either 'Clicked Link' in the first case or 'Clicked Email" in the second.

If you want to see these visits as literal 'Visit Web Page' visits, then you'll have to bounce people off a page that runs Munchkin and redirect them to the PDF.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see....thanks for the reply.

Yes I did notice the "clicks link" filter would be a potential option, and we may end up settling on that. We were hoping to have complete tracking though as some people get to the pdf either from an outside site or email...and I don't believe that method would capture those visits right?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Right, if people jump directly to the PDF without going through a click-tracked email or Munchkin-enabled source page, they won't be tracked. 

Your move is thus to create a wrapper landing page that redirects to the PDF (a classic "Your download has started automatically." page).

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Hi,

You can't do that because Marketo relies on the Munchkin code to identify user behavior. Since Munchkin code can't sit on a PDF file, you can't go with that particular smart list.

However, a workaround would be to use the Clicked Link on Page filter and have the link be the URL for the PDF and set the page to any (unless you want to see the lists coming from a particular page only).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Andy!