SOLVED

Can a list be created by importing a file containing just Marketo IDs?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a list be created by importing a file containing just Marketo IDs?

We exported a list of leads from Marketo and included the ID at the time of export.  This list was run through some filtering programs to identify a select group of leads.  I now want to build a list of them in Marketo to do some additional analysis but do not want to simply import the email addresses as there may be duplicates. What I want to do is import the IDs however that does not appear to be possible (I tried).

Anyone in the community know of a way to build a list using an excel file full of Marketo IDs?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a list be created by importing a file containing just Marketo IDs?

If you create a smart list based on the email addresses, you can add a "Member of:Smart List - Lead in Possible Duplicates" filter to identify the duplicates in your smart list.  Then you can merge or delete these, remove the Member of Smart List filter and you should be good to go. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you see leads in Marketo's "Possible Duplicates" System Smart List?  If not, you can import using the email addresses as the unique key.  We do not allow duplicates in Marketo and it is not a best practice.

Alternatively, you can create a smart list and use the Email Address filter with the email addresses from your list.  You can scan that for duplicates and if it's OK, you can add the smart list to a static list if desired.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Elliott. Yes, I can see the possible duplicates smart list and unfortunately we do have duplicates. This was primarily due to some issues with Salesforce for Outlook (which has since been fixed) creating duplicates in SFDC that then synced over to Marketo.

I understand what you are suggesting with creating a new smart list but it really does not solve my issue as I am talking about 8000+ leads that need to be on my list and it is not easy to figure out which ones have duplicates.

Let me ask this, if I import a list of email addresses for which there may be duplicates, will all of the leads with that email address show up on my list or just one?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you create a smart list based on the email addresses, you can add a "Member of:Smart List - Lead in Possible Duplicates" filter to identify the duplicates in your smart list.  Then you can merge or delete these, remove the Member of Smart List filter and you should be good to go. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

This makes sense. I will try it and let you know how it works out.  Thanks for your help!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Elliott - just wanted to let you know that your suggestion worked perfectly.  I did have to do a bit of manual work to get all the duplicates added to the list but was able to do so without too much effort. Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great to hear!  Please mark my last response as a "Best Answer", so that this issue will be marked as "Resolved".