Can a Channel apply to more than one Program Type?

Leanne_Persang
Level 4

Can a Channel apply to more than one Program Type?

I'd like some of my channels to apply to more than one program type. For example, the following channel belongs to the Default program. What if I want this to apply to the Email program as well? How do I add another program type to a channel? The "Applies to:" field is not editable.

pastedImage_4.png

I thought I would create another channel named the same and apply it to the Email program, but there cannot be the same channel name more than once.

pastedImage_3.png

Please advise, thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a Channel apply to more than one Program Type?

No mention of it in the docs: Create a Program Channel - Marketo Docs - Product Docs , so I would not get your hopes up.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes you can have one unique name for Channel Type.

if you need another Email program type, name it something else.

Leanne_Persang
Level 4

Thanks, so if we have Email-type channels already created as Default program types... it would be best to hide those and create new Email-type channels under the correct program type (i.e., Email)? Note: the issue is once users create an email campaign under a Default program type, A/B testing is not an easy task (have to do a workaround).

Jessica_Kao3

I typically have two Email Channels named slightly differently. 

Email Blast - (This is for the default type)

Email Test - (This is for the email type)

"the issue is once users create an email campaign under a Default program type, A/B testing is not an easy task (have to do a workaround)."

Depending on what you want to do, I pick Email Blast or Email Test. Personally, I rarely use the Email Blast (Default type) because usually the email is around something like a webinar which would mean the program is for a webinar, or to promote an event which would be more relevant in the tradeshow and events channel.

You can A/B test in either default or email, but there are pros and cons in each. 

You can however, create an email type program within a program which is what I mostly do.  It is nested as a local asset within a program. 

Within a program, create new local asset and you can choose the icon with the mail box and that will do it. 

Leanne_Persang
Level 4

Thank you, Jessica... creating a nested Email Program as a local asset within another program works perfectly for the A/B testing!

Josh_Hill13

See Jessica's explanation.