Re: Can I execute a Marketo program even if lead or contact is owned by an inactive SFDC user?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I execute a Marketo program even if lead or contact is owned by an inactive SFDC user?

Can I execute a Marketo program (synced to SFDC campaign) even if lead or contact is owned by an inactive Salesforce user? Will it still update the lead or contact's Activity Log?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Can I execute a Marketo program even if lead or contact is owned by an inactive SFDC user?

Hi Trent,

Yes it will work.

I even had a customer who once sent and email on behalf of a sales person who not only was inactive, but also dead

You will not be able to assign a lead to this owner, though.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can execute the Marketo program and the lead or contact's Activity Log in Marketo will be updated. I'm not sure what will happen with the sync to SFDC though, if the lead or contact is owned by an inactive Salesforce user. When running Marketo's EasyMerge service to mass merge duplicates the process failed in instances where the lead or contact was owned by an inactive user and we had to reassign ownership for all those leads/contacts to active users. Even if it works you may have other dependent processes fail - like sending alerts and interesting moments to inactive leads.

Your best bet would be to change the lead ownership to and active user (or users) - and establish a process for doing that when sales reps leave the company. As a fallback if it isn't obvious who should own the leads you could always designate or create an active SFDC user for ownership of these "orphan" leads and contacts and then reassign them later depending on whatever your rules are for lead assignment.

If can't reassign the leads, I recommend running the program first as a test on 2-3 of the leads owned by inactive users first and find out what happens.

Denise

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Denise,

In SFDC, you can always update a record even if it's owner is inactive. But you cannot delete/merge it.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

Thank you! I saw your reply as soon as I had posted mine.

Denise

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg and Denise. Very helpful.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

You are welcome.

PLs mark it as answered, so that it get's out of our radar

-Greg