Re: Calendly and Zapier

Gayle_Fitzpatri
Level 1

Calendly and Zapier

Hi All, 

I'm going to try and explain this as best i can and hopefully someone can help ... 

We have recently started using Calendly and when someone fills out a request for an appointment, I want to add them to a static list in Marketo, based on which appointment they requested. I can't find anything that allows me to differentiate between the different calendars we have. Do I need to create some sort of custom field?

I thought about doing it based on the slug of the calendar, for example, if the client books from the calendar with the slug /30-min-consult I can add them to a list. In Zapier, this is showing as "EventType Slug". So my understanding is that I would need to create a smart campaign to say that if the person created (or updated) comes through with EventType Slug as /30-min-consult (Or is there a different way?)  ... but I can't find that option in the "Data Value Changes" trigger that even remotely looks like an option - do I need to create this in field management? 

I hope that all makes sense? 

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
Marc_Asmus
Level 3

I'm no expert, but in the absence of other responses, I'll offer a couple suggestions:

• On the off-chance you have 3 or fewer Calendly calendars, you might consider Zapier's paths feature. I believe this would allow you to configure your Zap so that:
    • if user booked Calendar A -> add to Mkto list 'Booked via Calendar A'
    • if user booked Calendar B -> add to Mkto list 'Booked via Calendar B'
    • if user booked Calendar C -> add to Mkto list 'Booked via Calendar C'
  • If you have >3 calendars, you might find Eventbrite & Marketo Integration in a Zap! helpful. Roughly, you'd try adapting the approach by:
    • Creating a custom field in Marketo like 'Calendly Slug'
    •  When user books via Calendly, Zapier populates Mkto 'Calendly Slug' field with the "EventType Slug" you've identified
    • Create Smart Campaigns in Mkto that do what you need based on the calendar booked:
      • if 'Calendly Slug' changes to 'Calendar A', then add to list 'Booked via Calendar A'
      • etc.
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The actual Calendly API name is event_type.slug, I can't stand how Zapier makes up names for stuff...

In any case, like Marc suggests, you can create a mapping between that field and a custom Marketo String field Last Calendly Event Type Slug. 

You want to set the Marketo value not to the slug alone, but prepend the timestamp as well , so that way if somebody books the same kind of appointment multiple times you get a Data Value Changes trigger.

In general, not sure I like the idea of Calendly bookings being considered one-time things, like you're in a Static List and that's it. In our Calendly deployments we set a status based in each Marketo Program, Calendly Booked and we even reset it to Calendly Booked but Canceled if that happens.

Denise_Greenb10
Level 2

Hi @SanfordWhiteman - I'm just starting the process of figuring out for one of my clients if we can integrate Calendly into Marketo by using Zapier. This will be my first Zapier Rodeo if we go forward with this. The idea they have is to have Calendly (or some other scheduling app if you have an alternate recommendation) on their website and have the data transferred to Marketo. If we do this, do you know if we could find out the referring URL. E.g., if the person got to the website with Calendly via a marketing campaign with a given utm parameter string, would we be able to use Zapier to pass the utm parameters through as well as the meeting scheduled event?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

E.g., if the person got to the website with Calendly via a marketing campaign with a given utm parameter string, would we be able to use Zapier to pass the utm parameters through as well as the meeting scheduled event?

Yes, the standard UTM set (though not any custom params) are passed: utm_campaign, utm_source, utm_medium, utm_content, utm_term.