SOLVED

Re: Calendar File .ics Link Style

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Calendar File .ics Link Style

This new functionality works great, but my only issue with it is that I can't style the 'Save the Date' link to match the other links in my templates (no underline, custom color, etc.). I tried putting a <span> around the token to style it appropriately, but that didn't work. Anyone have any tips?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a client with this exact problem today. When you're building the ICS token, there's a line for "Hyperlink Text", even though it SAYS "Text", you can add span tags right there. The caveat is, it only recognizes named colors, not hex code.

<span style="color: white;">Add to Calendar</span>

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Colin_Ryder
Level 6 - Champion Alumni

I'd also be interested if someone has a solution for this.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a client with this exact problem today. When you're building the ICS token, there's a line for "Hyperlink Text", even though it SAYS "Text", you can add span tags right there. The caveat is, it only recognizes named colors, not hex code.

<span style="color: white;">Add to Calendar</span>
Nav_Singh
Level 2

What are you using for no underline?  Text-decoration:none;  gets rid of the font-color:white;

Thanks

Boris_Kiperas1
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

The text-decoration property adds an underline, overline, line-through, or a combination of lines to selected text. It's got nothing to do with the colour. Please check your code, it is not "font-color:white;", you should use "color: #ffffff" instead.

Boris Kiperas
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Well... just 'cuz I'm feeling picky, text-decoration does have a special relationship with color in that the the color of the element with t-d dictates the color of the decoration.

Thus

<div style="text-decoration:underline;color:green;"><span style="color:red;">This is red text w/green line</span></div>

displays as

pastedImage_0.png

while

<div style="color:green;"><span style="text-decoration:underline;color:red;">This is red text w/red line</span></div>

displays as

pastedImage_1.png

so in some strange/necessary cases setting text-decoration can be used to get a desired display style.

I agree that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Boris_Kiperas1
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

Thank you!!!! I tested this and it works great. In fact, the hex code for color works too...this is what i placed inside the Hyperlink text box:

<span style="color: #e05206;font-weight:bold;">Add this event to your diary</span>

There is still one problem though - the token does not work in Plain Text email version at all. Is there a way to cover that bit too?

Boris Kiperas
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also use the above logic to create a button for your "Save the Date" or "Add to Calendar" token using the following span code in the hyperlink text box, when creating your token.

<span style="width: 200px; height: 50px; background-image: url('bg.jpg'); display:block" />

This works well for landing pages, but be careful using this in emails as background images don't always work.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have a solution to use a button in an email for the .ics calendar file? I tried above logic posted by PQS and it works fine in Apple mail, but not in outlook. is there no other solution to it? like normally you can hyperlink images using tokens, but this doesn't seem to work for the calendar file token.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Paula E, I have a solution to that.

Step 1 - You have to get the URL of your calendar file:
a) In Marketo create the calendar file as a token, and make the "Hyperlink Text" a plain text value (e.g. Save the Date, or Click here)
b) Within your email, place the token anywhere
c) Approve and send a sample of your email to your inbox
d) Open the sample email and copy the link URL of the token. Save it in a text editor or somewhere accessible

Step 2 - Add the link of the calendar file to your button
a) Now that you have the URL of the calendar file, go back to your token settings in the marketo program
b) Replace the hyperlink text with the "span styling" of the button or the "a styling" of the text within the button as you have been advised to do by Jordan above. The only difference is that you add the hyperlink of the calendar file - for example:

<a href = "yourcalendarfileURL.com">buttonimage.png</a>

So for example, the html code that Boris K used above would be amended to be:

<span style="color: #e05206;font-weight:bold;"><a href="yourcalendarfileURL.com">Add this event to your diary</a></span>

My code looks like this:

<a href = "http://go.google-mkto.com/i05T0AP70fCxxxxxxxx" target="_blank" style="background-color: #4285f4; color: #ffffff; border-radius: 3px; height: 50px; line-height: 50px; display: inline-block; width: 180px; font-size: 15px; text-decoration: none;">Add to calendar</a>

Let me know if this worked for you.