Re: CSS errors detected in your email padding?

Chris_Vanderma1
Level 4

CSS errors detected in your email padding?

I have designed a template that passes HTML validation and looks good in tests across all major clients. When I enter the Marketing Activities area of Marketo and use the template I get the error:

CSS errors detected in your email
Check formatting after fixing

Errors:

1 - remove style='padding:value'

Is padding not allowed in inline CSS? Why? The only client it is unsupported in is <p> and <div> tags in Outlook, but I still want it in a p tag to zero it out in gmail. Is there a way I can bypass this error from showing up every time an email is created using my template?
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

You should be able to just hit "Cancel" instead and it won't auto-fix it.
Chris_Vanderma1
Level 4

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your reply, however I am designing many templates that could eventually be used by up to a dozen different people in a large production environment. As the email designer it looks poorly on me if all of my templates always produce an error message when used. It just doesn't make sense to me. I checked my code and I have only used padding in appropriate ways.

My question stands:

Is there a way I can bypass this error from showing up every time an email is created using my template?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd also like the answer to this question.

Marketo often claims things are wrong when they're not (valid, fully-tested emails).
Eben_Shapiro
Level 3

I'd like an answer too
Eben_Shapiro
Level 3

It looks like I'm getting this error because I'm adding a padding value to an unordered list.
Chris_Vanderma1
Level 4

Hi Eben,

I don't use any lists at all in my template, so that doesn't seem to be valid workaround in my instance. What specifically did you change? Can you post the code? Are you no longer getting the error even when you compose a brand new email from your template?

Eben_Shapiro
Level 3

Hi Chris,

I replaced the list with a table designed to look like a list and the error disappeared. I was able to discover what was causing the problem by deleting parts of the email until marketo no longer threw an error. Maybe that method might help you to discover what marketo's objecting to. Although it would have been nicer if marketo just told you what it had a problem with.

Eben
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consider this a feature request: instead of just saying there's an error, tell us what line of code it's on. (Better yet, don't error out valid CSS.)