SOLVED

CRM synchronization based on another field different from email

Go to solution
David_Mezkiriz
Level 2

CRM synchronization based on another field different from email

Hello support

I have a question about the Marketo API and custom objects update.
The CRM of my clients takes as dedup field an ID, which is a custom field in Marketo. 
That means that they have contacts with the same email address but different ID.

When I want to update the custom objects associated to the contacts via the API, I want to check if the lead already exists in Marketo based on the custom fields "client ID" rather than by email.
- If it does exist a lead with the same ID: email address: client@email.com / clint ID: 123. Update the custom objects associated to it.
- If lead with client ID 123 / email address client@email.com doesn't exist in Marketo, but lead client ID 456 / email address client@email.com exists in Marketo, I want to create the lead and associate the new custom objects to this new lead.
I know this last scenario will create duplicates in Marketo, as the unique identifier is the email address, but if we'd use the email address as dedup field to synch the leads with our CRM, we'd be associating custom objects to the wrong lead.

Thank you for your support!
David
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: CRM synchronization based on another field different from email

- If lead with client ID 123 / email address client@email.com doesn't exist in Marketo, but lead client ID 456 / email address client@email.com exists in Marketo, I want to create the lead and associate the new custom objects to this new lead.

You can use your Client ID as a lookup key for the Leads endpoint, assuming it's a String.

I know this last scenario will create duplicates in Marketo, as the unique identifier is the email address

Email Address is not a unique identifier in Marketo, it's merely the default lookup key for the majority of (but not all) operations.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can use your Client ID as a lookup key for the Leads endpoint, assuming it's a String.

I know this last scenario will create duplicates in Marketo, as the unique identifier is the email address

Email Address is not a unique identifier in Marketo, it's merely the default lookup key for the majority of (but not all) operations.

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Yep, all possible, we have exactly the situation you are describing with custom objects in Marketo. 

We use Salesforce ID as our unique identifier, and have people with duplicated email addresses. When inserting custom objects, we use Salesforce ID as the unique lookup, and the link field.

David_Mezkiriz
Level 2

Hello, 

thank you both of you for your feedback, we'll proceed as you suggested.

Regards!!

David