CC for Marketo Emails, GDPR and CASL

Raymond_Johnson
Level 5

CC for Marketo Emails, GDPR and CASL

I'm wondering if anyone has taken a look into the new "CC for Marketo Emails" feature and the implication for GDPR, CASL or any other privacy legislation. If a contact chooses to unsubscribe but is also listed as a cc'ing email address on a separate contacts record is the cc'ing blocked or does it still send the email through? I'm planning some testing next week, just wondering if anyone has looked into it in any detail and if there are any rules you are planning on putting in place for the use of the cc'ing feature.

2 REPLIES 2
Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

Re: CC for Marketo Emails, GDPR and CASL

Hi Raymond,

I would suggest consulting with your legal team to ensure you are compliant with sending emails via the CC option.

However regarding if the person who is CC in the email has unsubscribed, Marketo has posted the following on Email CC - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation

• Unsubscribe links and pages function normally in CC'd emails. This allows CC recipients to successfully unsubscribe if they wish (complying with anti-spam regulations), and a record of this action will be stored in the Marketo Database.
  • People who are listed as unsubscribed in your Marketo Database will not receive emails via CC.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Floyd

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: CC for Marketo Emails, GDPR and CASL

Unsubscribe links and pages function normally in CC'd emails. This allows CC recipients to successfully unsubscribe if they wish (complying with anti-spam regulations), and a record of this action will be stored in the Marketo Database.

Unfortunately, this part of the doc is wrong.

The Unsubscribe link (say, that generated by the {{system.unsubscribeLink}}) will be managing preferences for the primary recipient, not the CC: recipient. So it does function "normally," but that's the problem. We really want it to function abnormally. But it can't since the body of the email is the same.