SOLVED

Re: Building a lead scoring matrix

Go to solution
Jennifer_Bisho1
Level 4

Building a lead scoring matrix

My company is trying to come up with a lead scoring matrix before we launch our lead nurture programs in the near future.  I've pulled together a bunch of documents, but am looking to see if there are recommended values for scoring, such as how many points should a lead get for opening/clicking an email, viewing a web page, etc.  Also would be interested in recommended values for negative scoring, i.e. if they are not engaging.  Any information would be helpful.  Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

We keep it fairly simple (ex. 10 points for a form fill; 2 points for a Web page visit) just make sure you keep the values relative to each. Also score decay is a great idea but do not push leads into negative score values because then it takes them more time to "dig themselves out of the hole" in case they do show activity in the future. for decay we usually lower them by 5 points if they have not shown activity in 30 days.

Also keep scoring in a global program via the programs tokens so it is much easier to manage them.

Great resource: The Definitive Guide to Lead Scoring

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Devraj_Grewal

We keep it fairly simple (ex. 10 points for a form fill; 2 points for a Web page visit) just make sure you keep the values relative to each. Also score decay is a great idea but do not push leads into negative score values because then it takes them more time to "dig themselves out of the hole" in case they do show activity in the future. for decay we usually lower them by 5 points if they have not shown activity in 30 days.

Also keep scoring in a global program via the programs tokens so it is much easier to manage them.

Great resource: The Definitive Guide to Lead Scoring

Jennifer_Bisho1
Level 4

Gotcha, thanks!  We probably won't do much negative scoring anyway but since we are in the process of determining scoring values I figured we should include those just in case we want to use some.

We're new to the whole lead scoring and lead nurturing programs (been trying desperately to get away from the "batch and blast" emails everyone here is used to).  What do you mean by keep scoring in a global program and use tokens?  If you could walk me through how to do that, it would be much appreciated.

Devraj_Grewal

No problem. We actually just have a default operational program that we call "lead scoring". In the programs tokens tab you can bring in "score" and it allows you to have one glance at all scoring. You will then have multiple smart campaigns under this program, each will be a different activity  for a score (ex. clicks link in email). This would be a global scoring program because it scores any activity, not just specifically activities in a certain program.

Jennifer_Bisho1
Level 4

Oh yes, we actually have this set-up thanks to our consultant (but it's not activated).  We actually would prefer to do it per campaign since we probably will not be running a lot of these programs, and don't want to score them if they click/open emails that are outside of the lead nurture campaign.  Thanks for your help!