SOLVED

Re: Brand image on Yahoo Mail app on iPhone

Go to solution
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Brand image on Yahoo Mail app on iPhone

My colleague passed me a screenshot the other day of his iPhone Yahoo Mail app. Our email was in there, alongside Uber and Amazon's. But while Uber and Amazon had their brand logos in the preview panel (left hand side), ours had the two first letters of our company name displayed with candles. It looked like an auto-generated image (and I've certainly not knowingly put anything there).

But - the question remains, how do I control which image is shown here? I've done some Googling and can find no mention of this anywhere. Is it something I code in our email headers?

Any help appreciated!

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

You can't change it. Uber's logo is there because it is an advertisement, not an email. It's Yahoo's new thing called "Alphatars" where they will show a random image from Flickr representing initials of the sender's name. The only time it will show up differently is if the yahoo email user has connected their yahoo email account with their social networks and the email address is associated with one of their friends. It would show the person's picture in that case. There is no way for a company to override this behavior, though.

Justin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Have you looked into this with google or yahoo's forums?

I suspect this is related to a favicon, special yahoo icon, or G+ profile.

Phillip_Wild

Hi Josh

Nothing on the forums seems to relate to email favicons, only web ones. I could try putting something like <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="favicon.ico"> in the header of my emails but I don't think that would work since it's intended for a website.

What do you think?

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

You can't change it. Uber's logo is there because it is an advertisement, not an email. It's Yahoo's new thing called "Alphatars" where they will show a random image from Flickr representing initials of the sender's name. The only time it will show up differently is if the yahoo email user has connected their yahoo email account with their social networks and the email address is associated with one of their friends. It would show the person's picture in that case. There is no way for a company to override this behavior, though.

Justin

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

One more thing, I had inquired about this a few days ago and they did say they will pull a logo automatically for companies that are sending fully signed DMARC email. I am unsure where they go to obtain a logo...it may come from Facebook or LinkedIn.

Phillip_Wild

Great stuff Justin, thanks so much. Let me know if you find out anything more. I would have assumed we are sending fully signed DMARC but now I'll have to check!