Blocking field updates & pushing that data to another field?

Jonathan_Pack
Level 1

Blocking field updates & pushing that data to another field?

I've created two fields called "Lead Source - First Touch" and "Lead Source Details - First Touch." These fields will be blocked after they have initial info, but I want to also create two fields called "Lead Source - Last Touch" & "Lead Source Details - Last Touch."

Is it possible that once those two fields are locked, if anything attempts to overwrite them, that info gets pushed to their Last Touch equivalents?

Thanks!

EDIT: New to the Community, so if I have put this question in the incorrect area, please do let me know. Appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Blocking field updates & pushing that data to another field?

You could use an "add choice" in the Change Data Value flow step. This would say If Lead Source - First Touch is not empty, then change data value Lead Source - Last Touch. You'd also do this for the Lead Source Details - Last Touch.

Jonathan_Pack
Level 1

Thanks for the response Dory! Here's the current setup with Unbounce, which we're using for a few of our landing pages with lead source being tracked by UTM/cookies.

UTM tracked URL -> Unbounce -> Conversion -> Lead info and UTM info recorded in Unbounce -> Lead info & Lead Source (recorded via UTM) pushed to Marketo.

Would your recommendation work in the above scenario? Am I going about this incorrectly?

Many thanks!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

What you're describing is not explicitly possible.  You cannot both block updates at the database (Field Management) level and read the rejected data from the field (since it will not populate the field!).

What you can do is post to a separate "traffic cop" field (whose updates are not blocked) and check the values of other fields before populating them.

(You are posting to the correct area. Products ftw!)