SOLVED

Blocking a Form From Overwriting Stored Data

Go to solution
Savannah_Davis
Level 1

Blocking a Form From Overwriting Stored Data

I am trying to figure out a way to stop a form from overwriting data that we already have stored for that user.

Specifically, if a user fills out a form and changes the value, "How Did You Hear About Us?", we want to block the form from filling in that data with new information in order to preserve the original answer to that question when their profile was created. The initial value was probably set by a form so having the field blocked entirely from form updates in Marketo is probably not the solution.

So, we need to be able to stop this field from updating only if the original data field is not empty, and only for this field. All other fields in the form should update normally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Blocking a Form From Overwriting Stored Data

Go to Admin » Field Management and Block Updates for the field from form fillouts. This is a native feature.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

Go to Admin » Field Management and Block Updates for the field from form fillouts. This is a native feature.

Savannah_Davis
Level 1

Hi Sanford,

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately I don't think that is the answer. We only want to block form updates from form fillouts if we already have the data stored in Marketo. We still want them to be able to update this field if the data for that field is empty in their profile. Do you know of a way around this?

SanfordWhiteman

The feature already works as you describe. Setting the field from empty to filled the first time is not considered an "update."

Savannah_Davis
Level 1

Okay, thank you! I wasn't sure how that worked.