Re: Block email asset from syncing to SFDC?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Block email asset from syncing to SFDC?

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a way to stop an email asset that launches through a Marketo program from showing up in the history section of Sales Insight in SFDC?  Let's say for example a manager wanted to set up an automated process that follows up with all of their sales reps customers - they want to ask for a review of that reps customer service skills.  They don't want the email (or any responses) to be visible in SFDC.  I've noticed that email history syncs to Sales Insight regardless of whether the program itself is synced with Salesforce. Any ideas?  Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I have never seen a way to do that

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Do you mean Sales Insight, or do you really mean SFDC Activity History? This is easy to kill by Admin >SFDC>turn off Activity sync.

If you really don't want the history, then don't add MSI to SFDC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Josh,

The activity sync you are referring to is a global setting, correct?  It would apply to all of our programs in Marketo?  We do want to sync and have that history in SFDC records, only not for this specific program. 

Hilary_Wilczek
Level 1

We are trying to to do this for one email in particular not all. Could we delete the email out of SFDC, or would Marketo sync the email back to SFDC after it was deleted.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

You cannot remove a line from the activity log. Period.

The fact that the activity log cannot be tempered with also has some advantages, for instance as a proof for GDPR compliance.

Now, that would be an interesting idea if we could set filters on what's visible in MSI. But it's not, AFAIK. Have you ask support ? they might have the possibility to add such filters.

-Greg

Hilary_Wilczek
Level 1

We wouldn't want to delete the email out of the activity tab in Marketo, we would want to remove it from the activity history in SFDC, which you can do. I am just wondering if the email would sync back over to the activity history in SFDC.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Hilary,

No, if you delete it from the activity history, it will not come back.

BTW, using this feature (posting emails to the activity history, and other activity types as well) should be discouraged. It only clutters the activity history in SFDC, making it unusable for real (sales) activities. At the end it will cause you storage problems. And finally, no one ever looks at it

-Greg

Hilary_Wilczek
Level 1

Thank you Greg. Ha good to know, I am not a fan of anything email being in SFDC, but my team wants to see them to know that they were sent. We are actually in the process of deleting emails from 2016 and 2017 because of storage issues.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hello again Hilary,

Campaign membership does a better job, IMHO, than activity history to track what campaigns someone has beed invited to, whether they have responded and when.

Emails sent and clicks are sometimes called "vanity metrics". I prefer to call them "discredit metrics", because not only they do not bring that much value, but they give the impression to the rest of the company that Marketing is not business oriented.

-Greg