Re: Blind Submit Forms in Marketo

Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

Good point about the unsubscribe, Dan. It means that if the forwarding feature is to be used in the anticipated manner, the confirmation email would have to be set up as operational.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A naive question as I am still new to the platform, if what I understand is

correct, if the original recipient forwards the email, that person gets

auto unsubscribed?

Is that correct and if yes, is there a logic for why that is set to work in

that manner?

Regards,

Cliff Pereira

Head – Marketing Automation

Meritgroup

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Pavel Plachky <marketingnation@marketo.com>

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Dan_Stevens_

I would strongly advise against this - especially if you are dealing with strict anti-spam laws (CASL, GDPR (next May), etc.).  Never mark an email as operational that includes a marketing/promotional message.

I wasn't referring specifically to "unsubscribe", but depending on how you have your unsubscribe confirmation page setup, that will come into play as well.  I was referring to any of links.  For example, our CMO will often forward relevant event/webinar emails to her leadership team.  When we click on those links to go to the registration page, sometimes they're pre-filled with her name (another reason that we never use form pre-fill - especially since we do business in countries where data privacy/security laws are very strict - like Germany).

Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

If the email is in response to clicking the button "Yes, please register me" then I do not see much problem sending the email even to somebody who did not explicitly opt in. Clicking on that button is good enough reason for getting an email, probably under any data privacy law.

Cliff Pereira​, only the person who was on the receiving end of the forward to friend action will be unsubscribed, and most likely only if they were a new person. I think it is Marketo protecting you from sending unsolicited email to somebody about whom you do not have any other information than name, email and the fact that specific person wanted to share with them this specific email.

Dan_Stevens_

Sorry, I was referring to the email that was being forwarded, to promote whatever it is that you're promoting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very good point. GDPR is going to have legal implications for any form of

data sharing, even if it is by a customer accidentally. (The onus of

responsibility will fall on the team setting the system up to work that

way.)

This is something I came across in Eloqua as well and generally, would set

up a secondary link 'If you are not XXXXX, then click here to register'But

that didn't work too well as customers just never read it and we would

get messed up results on the form submissions.

Pre-filled forms to have a higher conversion rate though. So what if the

form is set to only prefill non-confidential information i,e. first and

last name, the company name but not a phone number or email address?

Regards,

Cliff Pereira

Head – Marketing Automation

Meritgroup

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Dan Stevens <marketingnation@marketo.com>

Dan_Stevens_

It depends on what your definition is of non-confidential information.  In our company, any PII (personally identifiable information) is considered confidential.  And I agree, pre-fill does result in higher conversion rates.  It's important to evaluate/weigh the risks vs. benefits for your specific situation.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

While I appreciate everybody's optimism about a Clicks Email trigger, you're forgetting the mail scanners that follow all links in an email.

It's for this reason that we can't use concepts like "one-click unsubscribe" anymore.

And actually, an auto-submitted form and Fills Out Form trigger can have the same problem when they hit an advanced scanner that opens up the destination page with JS enabled.

Unfortunately (though it's a good thing in the larger war against hackers) you can't trust any vital function like event registration to be done without an additional manual click.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thinking out loud here, what if the first email click was followed up with

a second email which works like a double opt in that confirms the first

click ?

On Aug 8, 2017 00:50, "Sanford Whiteman" <marketingnation@marketo.com>