SOLVED

Best practices email signatures

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best practices email signatures

Hi

I'd like to know your thoughts and best practice with a brief explanation as to why it is so.

When I send emails from Marketo and also our CRM, my entire email address block is attached at the end (name, email, company, address....legal statement).

What do you experts advise re this? Should I try to remove the corporate signature block, or leave it be, and why?

Thanks for your time and advice.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_Desrosie2
Level 4

Re: Best practices email signatures

I think it makes a lot of sense to have the email signature block consistently included in your email templates. It's a great opportunity to standardize your brand experience. The questions to me is more to make sure it reflects your brand at it's best and provide a good user experience across devices. A few things to consider:

• Work out the design as if it was a marketing campaign - it will be seen over and over again. I think an employee will send something like 40 emails per day in average...
  • Keep it short and stick to the essential. Dont put email address in there (obviously). Forget fax number, unless it's still very commonly used in your industry. Although I would definitely use it to promote your website or newsletter and add (just a few important) social links
  • Align to spam laws : Ex: in canada you need to provide full physical address.
  • Avoid coloured, large or non standard fonts. Don't make is flashy - personalized email have somethimes been proven to have better open/ctr rates so it should not look like a billboard.
  • Optimize the HTML for mobile and test across multiple email clients (Ex: Litmus is a good tool to help with that)
  • Make it consistent across all employees - so they also use it in their own email clients and provide guidance/instruction to help adopt it. Also make sure no one adds the corporate image directly - it will create an attachment. Host it on your server call it in your html.

Hope this helps,

David

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
David_Desrosie2
Level 4

Re: Best practices email signatures

I think it makes a lot of sense to have the email signature block consistently included in your email templates. It's a great opportunity to standardize your brand experience. The questions to me is more to make sure it reflects your brand at it's best and provide a good user experience across devices. A few things to consider:

• Work out the design as if it was a marketing campaign - it will be seen over and over again. I think an employee will send something like 40 emails per day in average...
  • Keep it short and stick to the essential. Dont put email address in there (obviously). Forget fax number, unless it's still very commonly used in your industry. Although I would definitely use it to promote your website or newsletter and add (just a few important) social links
  • Align to spam laws : Ex: in canada you need to provide full physical address.
  • Avoid coloured, large or non standard fonts. Don't make is flashy - personalized email have somethimes been proven to have better open/ctr rates so it should not look like a billboard.
  • Optimize the HTML for mobile and test across multiple email clients (Ex: Litmus is a good tool to help with that)
  • Make it consistent across all employees - so they also use it in their own email clients and provide guidance/instruction to help adopt it. Also make sure no one adds the corporate image directly - it will create an attachment. Host it on your server call it in your html.

Hope this helps,

David