Re: Best practice for re-subscribe/opt-in of unsubscribed leads

Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Best practice for re-subscribe/opt-in of unsubscribed leads

Apologies if there's already a few threads on this, but I just wanted to see what other folks have found works best when configuring your forms to re-subscribe/opt people back in that have previously unsubscribed. I know some documentation says just add the Unsubscribed field to each form, hide it and set it to "No" -- but I wasn't sure if it made more sense to just set a universal trigger campaign for any form fill (minus unsubscribe) to accomplish the same?

Tags (2)
16 REPLIES 16
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Matt,

Yes, there are lots of threads on both subscription management and attempting to re-subscribe people. For resubscriptions, you  cannot do anything about these people anymore because they unsubscribed. I believe some firms had success with using RTP and retargeting to get people to resub on content offers...of course those would only be active types.

If you have customers, you can include a resubscribe link to your sub mgmt page or a special offer to entice them to resub to regular offers instead of just their operational emails or invoices.

Dan_Stevens_

If we do get customers to re-subscribe (and change unsubscribe to FALSE), does the durable unsubscribed value get changed as well?

Dan_Stevens_

Josh Hill - do you know the answer to this?

John_Clark1
Level 10

Yes, if they resubscribe then the durable setting will change as well.

Jessica_Cross1
Level 6

Didn't know that. Thought durable setting was permanent.

Matt_Stone2
Level 9

I guess my question more revolved around how you handle re-subs operationally, not so much how you influence them to re-sub. Basically, I'm wondering if it's better to re-subscribe anyone who completes any of our forms (minus the unsubscribe form), or if they should be forced to go to an explicit re-sub form.

If it's the former, is it better to hide the Unsubscribed = False field on each form, or just have a triggered smart campaign that fires for any form fill but the unsubscribe form.

Dan_Stevens_

Are we talking about the US here?  If not, your best bet - and to remain compliant with the variety of data privacy/spam laws - is to explicitly ask for their permission again (and in some countries, double-opt-in is required).  In fact, I would do this in the US as well.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I agree with Dan.  Even if you make the Submit button double as a (re)subscribe trigger, you still need to label it ("By clicking this...") and they might miss it.  So you'd be better off explicitly giving them a checkbox in addition to the Submit.

Traci_Taylor
Level 2

It doesn't seem like anyone has answered the original question. They're not referring to privacy law best practices. They're referring to people who have unsubscribed, come back to the website and fill out a form, but get put back into Marketo as unsubscribed becuase they previously unsubscribed.

I'm encountering the same problem. I have a Trigger set up to delete contacts that unsubscribe. The problem I just discovered, is that if they fill out a new form opting themselves back in, they're still put back into Marketo as unsubscribed, therefore, deleted again.

Should a trigger be set up, so chance the attribute to unsubscribe = false IF someone who was previously unsubscribed fills out a form?

Without going into CAN-SPAM, GDRPR, or CCPA, from a systems perspective, will this work?