SOLVED

Best Practices for Managing Possible Duplicate Leads

Go to solution
Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Best Practices for Managing Possible Duplicate Leads

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could share their process for handling possible duplicate leads. I currently have 6,500+ leads in my Possible Duplicates system smart list (using just the default Duplicate Field Name is Email Address) and wasn't sure if there was a better way to merge lead records aside from going through the list manually or using a third party service. Is there a certain number figure or percentage (of total database) for when duplicates should be considered a major issue? Do you manage these leads on a monthly or annual basis and if so, how?

I found a Product Docs article that relates: Automate an Alert for Possible Duplicate Leads - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Has anybody tried implementing this approach? If so, please share your thoughts!

Thanks for your help,

Tom

Tom Kerlin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Wyatt_Bales4
Level 4

Re: Best Practices for Managing Possible Duplicate Leads

Hi Tom,

Having more than 1,000 duplicates usually means more than a couple days work using the manual merge tool within Marketo which isn't cost effective. Marketo Professional Services offers the EasyMerge service which provides you a report of all the merge changes before flipping the switch. It's an affordable one-time fix that can also help you dig into the root cause.

Before completing the merge, I recommend using a 'Lead is Created' trigger, a short wait step, evaluate if it's a possible duplicate, and add it to a static list. Then once a week merge the records on the list (or have your college intern do it if you're lucky enough to have one).

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Tom,

You are reaching a volume where the help of a third party tool might make sense. Look into Ringlead or Leadonnace, both are available in the launchpoint.

I am afraid that an automated alert is going to overwhelm your mailbox...

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gregoire

Is there any imitations of EasyMerge versus RingLead?

My understanding is that with EasyMerge there is some data loss as it does not append data just takes the data in fields that are selected as the master. Similarly, on lead score, it will not aggregate score when merged but use the one selected.

Any additional information would be useful.

Thanks

Axel

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Axel,

AFAIK, Ring lead is more a tool to use in a Marketo + SFDC environment, while easy merge or leadonnace are designed to work in Marketo only.

One of the key question is whether or not the records you want to sync are both synchronized with the CRM or not. If this is the case, then it's better to perform the merge in SFFC and then RingLead is the right tool.

On the other end, if at least one of the 2 merged records is not sync'ed, then EasyMerge or Leadonnace will be a better choice.

-Greg

Wyatt_Bales4
Level 4

Hi Tom,

Having more than 1,000 duplicates usually means more than a couple days work using the manual merge tool within Marketo which isn't cost effective. Marketo Professional Services offers the EasyMerge service which provides you a report of all the merge changes before flipping the switch. It's an affordable one-time fix that can also help you dig into the root cause.

Before completing the merge, I recommend using a 'Lead is Created' trigger, a short wait step, evaluate if it's a possible duplicate, and add it to a static list. Then once a week merge the records on the list (or have your college intern do it if you're lucky enough to have one).

Leanne_Persang
Level 4

Data quality assurance is essential. Why is yet another third party tool required for Marketo? We also have a large amount of duplicates, but I find it hard to justify additional spend on something that should be built into Marketo. Tom, did you explore the costs for the third party tool or EasyMerge service?

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Hi Leanne,

Actually we are looking at a third party add-on for MS CRM called AutoMerge (it's supposed to perform automatic merges for duplicates), but we have yet to explore costs. If anybody has experience or feedback on using AutoMerge, or has any other third party recommendations please share!

Tom Kerlin
Raymond_Russell
Level 2

We have MS Dynamics and are working on the sync with Marketo.  We will have twice as many records in CRM as we will in Marketo, but would like to have leads come over to CRM from Marketo.  Did you find a tool you were happy with that allowed you to control for incoming duplicates inside of MSCRM?

Wyatt_Bales4
Level 4

The functionality is built into Marketo to merge up to 5 records together at a time. Given the fact merging records has several criteria (e.g. choosing which record should remain as parent vs child and which fields survive being overwritten), it makes more sense to do these changes in the system of record--not Marketing Automation. Thus, it doesn't make sense for Marketo to develop a tool when the source of most duplicate issues reside in CRM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tom, as others have suggested, look at a 3rd party tool to help you with this one-time merge. But this could just be like putting a bandaid on the problem. Your 6,500 dups suggest there is a bigger picture problem that's happening on an ongoing basis.

Once you get the dups gone/reduced, consider evaluating your lead input processes. A few areas to look at:

- Make sure all lead forms flow into Marketo first. This will auto dedup on email address. If you have any APIs or SF Web-to-lead forms, those can create dups

- Make sure that your CRM and Marketo are in sync as much as possible. Otherwise, a new lead can enter one system and populate to the other as a dup.

- Enforce best practices with the Sales team. Before they enter a person into SF, they should check to see if the record already exists. 3rd party apps like Ring Lead help with this process.

- Stop the madness of importing people into Salesforce.....that can create dup.

- Look for 3rd party apps (Zoom info, Data.com, etc) that populate SF w dups when names are brought in automatically.

Good luck and feel free to reach out if you have any questions.