SOLVED

Batch Email with Attachment

Go to solution
Kirstie_Olah
Level 2

Batch Email with Attachment

I have to find a solution to send an email to a customer database (11,000 contacts) but each recipient will receive a unique attachment as it’ll contain their account number and special pricing. 

I know Marketo doesn't support attachments in emails but does anyone know of another way to achieve this?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Batch Email with Attachment

I have some experience using experience using postfix. We have a developer on the team that has more experience than I do that would be able to help. I thought about trying to parse the emails to XML but, I am not sure that would work.

Not sure what you mean about parsing to XML, that wouldn’t help (they’d just have to be encoded as standard MIME afterward).

The general sequence is:

• use Send Alert instead of Send Email so you can send via your rerouting/rewriting server, encoding the original email address in a custom field (there’s a way to use Send Email but it’s highly complex, save that for a v2!)
  • parse the email to a MIME object on your server
  • add the attachment
  • re-sign the email (you must invalidate the original DKIM signature and create a new one)
  • send it to the final destination

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman

Kind of impossible to answer! If it must be an attachment, it can't be through Marketo. If it must be through Marketo, it can't be an attachment.

Kirstie_Olah
Level 2

Yeah, it must be an attachment.

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

just curious, why must it be an attachment?

SanfordWhiteman

The only way to vaguely approach this is to gateway your Marketo emails through a dedicated SMTP server that attaches the file before relaying the email. We had to do this once. It was not, by any stretch, easy and was only possible b/c I used to be a mail admin. Otherwise you'd have to have very savvy + willing IT.

Kevin_Poust
Level 1

We are looking to do something similar. Essentially we need to have the reporting that we get from Marketo but be able to attach a PDF to the email prior to delivery. Any suggestions on how to get started?

Kevin Poust
SanfordWhiteman

Well, as noted above you’ll need to pass the emails through another server first. Are you experienced with mailserver (Postfix, Exim, etc.) setup?

Kevin_Poust
Level 1

I have some experience using experience using postfix. We have a developer on the team that has more experience than I do that would be able to help. I thought about trying to parse the emails to XML but, I am not sure that would work.

Kevin Poust
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@Kevin_Poust ,

why can't it be a link to the PDF?

Cheers

Jo

Kevin_Poust
Level 1

We already have that in the email. Customers are asking to be sent a pdf as they are fearful of clicking the link.

Kevin Poust