SOLVED

Banner image alignment to the center

Go to solution
Andreea_Chirica
Level 1

Banner image alignment to the center

Hi. I am using the Flatiron email template. The problem I'm having is that I'd like to center the banner background image rather than left corner top. When trying to apply 'background: center', 'align: center', it centers the banner image on the Marketo editor, but when delivered as a sample on email, the properties aren't kept. It still moves the image to the left corner top (this was checked on both mobile and desktop devices). I'm using Gmail, but it was also checked on Apple mail, and mobile.

This is the current code:

<td class="background cornertop" style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;mso-table-lspace: 0pt;mso-table-rspace: 0pt;word-break: break-word;-webkit-hyphens: none;-moz-hyphens: none;hyphens: none;-ms-text-size-adjust: 100%;border-top-right-radius: 0px;-webkit-border-top-left-radius: 0px;-moz-border-top-left-radius: 0px;border-top-left-radius: 0px;-webkit-border-top-right-radius:

0px;-moz-border-top-right-radius: 0px;background-color: #2ea7dc;width: 50%;height: 226px;background-repeat: no-repeat;background-position: bottom left;background:${heroBackgroundImage};background-image:${heroBackgroundImage};padding-top: 0;padding-right: 0;padding-bottom: 0;padding-left: 0;border-collapse: collapse;background-color:${heroBackgroundColor}" height="226" background="${heroBackgroundImage}" bgcolor="${heroBackgroundColor}" valign="middle" width="640">

Could you advise on what code to use in order to be able to center the banner image on both desktop and mobile devices? Let me know if you require more details in order to understand the issue we're having.

Thank you.

Andreea

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

Re: Banner image alignment to the center

Put this CSS right before the closing </style> tag in the head section.

.background {

background-size: 100% auto;

background-repeat: no-repeat;

background-position: bottom center;

}

Pavel

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

Change

background-position: bottom left;

to

Best regards,

Pavel

Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

Please note that the email template also contains an Outlook-only code, which is not affected by this change. In Outlook in Windows the image will scale to fit, if that is not what you want you may also consider to pad the image with white space to make it the recommended width (640px).

Andreea_Chirica
Level 1

Apologies, but I forgot to mention an important issue. The idea is that we want to use a larger image, 1280x550, because we noticed that by using it with the recommended size of 640x260 lowers the image quality. This is when the background image is not scaled properly. How should we modify the code in order to scale and position a larger image into the template banner container?

I tried the proposed solution

Change

background-position: bottom left;

to

but it only aligned to center in Marketo and not as well when delivered on Gmail. The image below shows the differences between the Marketo view and the Gmail one.

Alignment and scalling.png

Could you please advise on what code to use to keep the center alignment and to resize a larger image into the recommended container of 640x260?

Many thanks.

Andreea

Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

Put this CSS right before the closing </style> tag in the head section.

.background {

background-size: 100% auto;

background-repeat: no-repeat;

}

Pavel

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Background image positioning will not work on many email clients, starting with many outlook versions.

-Greg