Average of Touches for Engagement and Average of Success for Customers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Average of Touches for Engagement and Average of Success for Customers

We are trying to determine, based on our data in Marketo, how many touches (i.e. sent email) on average it takes for a suspect/lead to engage with our content. We would like to be able to say that on average, it takes leads in our SMB channel x marketing touches before they engage (have a success with our marketing efforts).

And similarly, we are looking to determine how many successes on average it takes leads to convert into closed/won accounts.

Any recommendations?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Average of Touches for Engagement and Average of Success for Customers

Hi Meghan,

Exciting stuff! Happy to hear you are at the point where you are looking at touches and nurture.

You will need a few things in order to be able to do this
  1. You will need Revenue Cycle Explorer (RCE). You will be using the Program Opportunity Analysis Report
  2. You will need to reference a channel that is specific to nurture i.e the engagement channel of your engagement programs or if you're using regular programs in your engagement programs you will want to make sure that those programs have their own channel.
  3. You need campaigns that change the membership status to a success when a person reaches a success. Whatever it is you have defined in your channel. E.g. Clicked
Let's begin!
  1. Go to RCE
  2. New Report
  3. Choose the Program Opportunity Analysis Report
  4. In the Rows you will choose Opportunity Type (Optional depending on whether or not you have defined different opportunities in Salesforce e.g. New Business vs. Renewals etc) and Program Channel (Filter and choose the channel you have defined as the one for nurture. In this case at Marketo, ours is Email - Nurture - Prospect)
  5. In your Measures choose Avg # of Successes Per Opportunity Created
  6. I would create a filter for opportunity created month and define the month
0EM50000000RLO6.jpg

What this number is telling you is that for all new business opportunities created in the month of December 2013, there were on average 1.09 nurture touches

Hope this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Meghan,

Great way to measure effectiveness of your e-mails.

One way to get this data would be to create a new Score field called something like 'Email Score Prior to Engagement'. The way you'd use this field is that everytime you send a lead an e-mail, you would increment score in this field by +1. In your campaign setup, you'll also want to use the crietria 'Member of Program is ANY, Success = False'. Adding this constraint will ensure that you're only adding a score in this field if your lead HAS NOT attained success in any program, which is your definition of Engagement.

You can then view data in this field to gauge how many touches it takes to engage a lead, since Score in this case would reflect # of touches.

You could similarly have another field and an accompanying campaignt o determine how many touches it takes to convert a lead into a closed/won account.

Feel free to e-mail me at info@roitargets.com if there's anything else I could assist with.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!!
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

@Philip, this is a good start but, like Meghan, we're looking for the number of touches (not success) to reach success (or an MQL, Opportunity, etc.).  In the case of an email channel/program, touches would be the number delivered.  Does this capability exist within RCE?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dan,

That metric is not a standard field in RCE, so the best way to get this insight is to follow Kashmira's suggestion.

Can you please elaborate on the use case?  I'm curious to know what action the user is going to take after getting this data.

TJ
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

TJ - our field marketers are required to report on the following data points each quarter - which then get placed in a global marketing dashboard:

• # unique touches
  • # responses
  • # MQLs
  • # SALs
  • #/$ Opportunities (both Marketing influenced / Marketing generated)
  • #/$ Closed wins