Attribution Methods and Lead Source

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Attribution Methods and Lead Source

I've been struggling with this one for a few months and thought to share our recent thinking on tracking attribution back to Sources and Offers.

That's been the primary issue - what's a Lead Source? The answer is only a channel is, not a content piece.

http://perkuto.com/blog/marketing-automation/marketing-attribution-model-for-marketing-automation
3 REPLIES 3
Delinda_Tinkey1
Level 5

Re: Attribution Methods and Lead Source

I agree with you, Josh. "Web" is not a lead source. We collect similiar information, but with only four data points:

1) Date
2) Channel (i.e. Social Media)
3) Channel Details (i.e. LinkedIn)
4) Content

And, of course, the "Who" information you mention. Sometimes even those four fields are more than we need. If we need more detail, we can add it to the "Channel Details" field. So in your example, it would be:

1) Date
2) Newsletter Ad
3) Magazine X
4) Webinar Y

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

great pts Delinda
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

Very interesting post.  While lead source is a critical point in attribution, it may not be the first point of interaction and is rather an inflection point where we identify what would otherwise be an anonymous prospect.
Given the fact that up to 90% of buyer's journey happens before the prospect reaches out to vendors, it would be as important to understand a prospect's activities before the prospect becomes identifiable through a specific source as to nurture it once it's identified as a lead.  The latter is something that marketing automation handles very well.  But, the former seems to be more challenging.

Would love to hear your thought...

Regards,
Ronald