Associating Marketo email clicks with the email channel in Google Analytics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Associating Marketo email clicks with the email channel in Google Analytics

I'm looking for a way (if it's even possible) to have Google Analytics attribute clicks from our Marketo email to the email channel in analytics. Google Analytics appears to have its own methodology for identifying that Web traffic came from an email and that methodology appears to not work for Marketo emails. The issue is that as Marketo uses a subdomain (in our case go.quark.com) for all email links, Google sees this traffic as a referal channel from go.quark.com and not as email traffic. It is posisble to customize the default channels in Google Analytics. Has anyone configured Google Analytics in order to correctly attribute Marketo email clicks to the Email channel for Web traffic? I know we could use customer Google PPC parameters and add these to our links but Google primarily intends these to be used for Paid Search so that seems messy and I'm not sure that Google Analytics would pay attention to that anyway when it comes to default channels as it has its own way to decide if it's email or not. Thanks in advance. Seems like this would be a common issue for all Marketo users and therefore one that Marketo would have documentation on.
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Associating Marketo email clicks with the email channel in Google Analytics

I would love to see this answered! 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Associating Marketo email clicks with the email channel in Google Analytics

It seems that this is a feature that has been requested but not yet one that Marketo is working on. That said, I received a good answer here: https://community.marketo.com/marketodiscussiondetail?id=90650000000Pjh6AAC. Ultimately you have a couple of options, one with utm codes and one that may work without. I'll hopefully be able to confirm in the next day or two once it's trickling through to my reports.