Re: Assign points to database for demographics as a batch?

Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

Assign points to database for demographics as a batch?

hi all
i am trying to decide if, for example, all VPs in our database get 10 points just from the start then if they say fill out a form they get 5 points

or if i set it all activity based so when someone fills out a form :
they get 15 points if a VP
they get 5 points if not a VP

if a VP fill out multiple forms  yes, they will get the 10 point uplift every time but logically this makes sense to me as if they only get the "bonus" 10 points once total scores won't be very accurate as a non VP who does a lot could very quickly end up with more points than a VP and for us a VP should have a point advantage.

some of the articles i have read give examples of demographic scores just being batches but we are leaning towards ONLT using behavioral scores with point uplifts for certain titles or industries. and because certain titles get an uplift in points we are thinking this will solver problem of say a student racking up points by downloading docs, attending webinars. we had scoring turned on before with activity scores being same for all and we ran into problem of non qualified people having higher scores than qualified people so we turned it off.

what is everyone else doing. what have you found over time to help streamline your scoring?

would love your thoughts!
Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Assign points to database for demographics as a batch?

I would check out a few different solutions. See my guide:
http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/marketing-rockstars-guide-to-marketo/

And some thoughts about this situation:
http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/my-big-problem-with-lead-scoring-322/

I treat Demographic Scoring as a base and a filter. Generally I would prefer that in your MQL flow, you exclude any undesirable leads regardless of score.

Yes, your negative demographic score can help with this, but I use this score as a baseline. Demographics are a FILTER that prevents non Buyer Personas from reaching sales. Behavioral Scoring helps determine if your buyer is engaged/close to buying/etc.

In otherwords, if a Student has a high score, who cares? You are going to block them anyway. Maybe you can help by giving Students a lower score like -500

Your Demographic scoring system should be set as a trigger that says

If ( Lead Is Created OR Data Value Changes) AND Job Title = VP
Change Score +15
Lead can flow through ONCE.

Another flow can handle Job Titles without VP.

Another flow handles Students and others whom you wlll never call.