Re: Are you using block CSS in Emails? Non-inline styling.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you using block CSS in Emails? Non-inline styling.

I consider it best practice to ensure emails display as you intend them to put CSS inline. The way Marketo formats text if you change the color or whatever.

Where as a web page would have a separate file just for the style information, but you could also write it into the top of the page. You certainly can do this now, and some email browsers will chose to ignore it and others will do exactly what you intended.

So who's doing this? Block CSS in the header of your email. Who's using media queries? Are any clients supporting @font-face yet? What are you finding? Do you get complaints from people if they get a strange error? Tell me your results.
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inline all the way.
Anonymous
Not applicable

subscribe

Anonymous
Not applicable

For a bit of background, I've been seeing a lot more emails designed block css. Especially from places like the twitter feed @NeauConcepts. So I got one from them that's a progressive email, where if you view it on your iPhone it hides some long texts & inserts instead an open/close button. It looks really nice, but it only works on intelligent browsers, just defaulting to regular on outlook, etc.
Bridget_Campoma
Level 2

I'm putting the CSS in the header of our email templates.

In my company, my team create templates that we have to pass on to contributors who are not as savvy with CSS.

Asking them to go into the advanced tab of a properties window and expect them to remember that the mark up to change a color is "color: #ff0000;" is very intimidating for them.

Although this isn't a 'best practice' I will need to manage their expectations by informing them that certain email clients will not always render things properly.

It's good to know that if they what that much control over an email--they have the option to markup the style inline. But having it handled by a block CSS in the header is usually acceptable enough.
Casey_Noland
Level 2

Definitely an area where Google upsets the Apple/Microsoft/everyone else cart.... Frustrating