Re: Are leads removed from Marketo when we unsync them in Salesforce?

Cindy_Dijkstra
Level 2

Are leads removed from Marketo when we unsync them in Salesforce?

We have a syncronisation between Salesforce and Marketo, and in Salesforce we can unsync individual contacts with marketo. Does a lead automatically disappear from Marketo, when we have flagged out the contact person in Salesforce (unsynced with Marketo)? We notice that contacts which we have unsynced with Marketo in Salesforce still exist in Marketo, while we thought they would be deleted from Marketo as soon as we unsynced them with Salesforce. Can someone please explain how this works and how we can make sure that all unsynced contacts are removed from marketo?

4 REPLIES 4
Kristy_Murphy
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

I just went through the same thing. We had inadvertently synced some contacts on our implementation that we didn't want after all. That said, when you turn the sync flag off or mark to no longer be synced in your CRM (Salesforce) - they 100% don't disappear from Marketo. In our case we had a few hundred thousand of them and I had to provide a list with the SFDC Person ID and the Email address in a flat file to a Marketo Technical Architect and they were able to use an API to bring those contacts into a static list in Marketo. I was then able to delete the people from the static list that the TA was able to import into for me. Once deleted from Marketo they no longer sync again in our sync cycle as the flag in Salesforce is set to false.

I hope that helps..

Kristy

Cindy_Dijkstra
Level 2

Hi Kristy,

Thank you for your quick reply! It sounds like this is quite awful.. I'll discuss with our contact from Marketo if we need to provide her with a list of leads that need to be deleted from Marketo.

We often have cases in which we want to unsync and delete from Marketo only one or two leads (but this happens a lot, so we don't want to have to manually change them in both Salesforce and delete them in Marketo). Do you know how we can manage this? When we manually unsync a contact in Salesforce, we just want it to disappear from Marketo..

Kind regards,

Cindy

Kristy_Murphy
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

I'd love to hear the response that you get. We are in the same position. We have business rules in our CRM that on a nightly basis qualify Salesforce contacts for the Marketo sync. The challenge is - if you automatically change the flag to "don't sync" then Salesforce literally stops syncing and Marketo doesn't know anything about the "why". What we were entertaining is - on the Salesforce side prior to the flag being checked - send a final sync over to Marketo maybe a field just saying "sync flag changing" or something and then after that sync happens - then have Salesforce update the contact to unsync. If that were to happen then we would have a data value in Marketo for the person record to use in a smart list. We haven't tested it yet but that is directionally what we were thinking...

Cindy_Dijkstra
Level 2

Hi Kristy,

I like your idea. We were also thinking about a way of letting Marketo know (from the Salesforce side) that a certain contact needed to be removed before unsyncing. Because apparenlty once you've unsynced a contact, Marketo is just left with that unsynced contact and doesn't know what to do with it.

Sophie Boodiah​, could you respond to this thread once you've figured out how this works?

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,

Cindy