SOLVED

Arabic text in Subject Line

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Arabic text in Subject Line

Hey community,

I have a question. We would like to send e-mails in Arabic. Arabic is a right to left language. On the body of the e-mail, we are able to put a <div="rtl"> tag, but on the subject line we cannot edit as HTML.

I tried creating a token, but when I tested that e-mail to myself I received the subject line with the whole HTML code showing, including the regular t3ext and the tags.

I was wondering how you guys send e-mails in Arabic.

Thank you for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Arabic text in Subject Line

Subject lines aren't HTML, they're plain ASCII (with possible Q-encoded characters). So it's not surprising that you're seeing the raw HTML code.

AFAIK the alignment is up to (a) the end user's mail client settings, combined with (b) the mail client's heuristic decision based on the frequency of RTL vs. LTR characters in the text, i.e. if you intermix Arabic and English you will have more problems than if every character is in the same Unicode block.

In other words, the display alignment of a subject line is not under your control as an email author.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

Subject lines aren't HTML, they're plain ASCII (with possible Q-encoded characters). So it's not surprising that you're seeing the raw HTML code.

AFAIK the alignment is up to (a) the end user's mail client settings, combined with (b) the mail client's heuristic decision based on the frequency of RTL vs. LTR characters in the text, i.e. if you intermix Arabic and English you will have more problems than if every character is in the same Unicode block.

In other words, the display alignment of a subject line is not under your control as an email author.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Sanford,

I actually tried it with just Arabic text instead of intermixing with English and it actually worked. In fact, apparently you can even have both characters there as long as they dont mix in the middle of each other, so the beginning of the subject line can be in English and the rest in Arabic and it still works.

Anyhow, thank you for the help!

SanfordWhiteman

Cool, thanks for sharing results. The alignment is still going to be up to the client app (no fixed standard for "mostly" rtl as far as I know) but there's probably a % that is safe in all cases.