SOLVED

Re: Any Automated way to merge duplicates using API?

Go to solution
Anand_Raj_S1
Level 3

Any Automated way to merge duplicates using API?

Hello,

One of my client is looking to merge duplicate leads in Marketo. There are 7k records, so totally 14k records (with duplicates). We estimate 200 hours of work if we do manually.

Is there any way to do this automatically, probably using any API?

Thanks

Anand

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

13 REPLIES 13
SanfordWhiteman

Anand_Raj_S1
Level 3

Thanks. I could see we can achieve using API POST method. Any instructions available?

SanfordWhiteman

The Swagger definition I linked to is simple, but it should be clear... what other kinds of instructions are you looking for beyond the Developer Docs (of course, you need to authenticate, get an access_token, everything you need to do with all Marketo REST API endpoints).

Anand_Raj_S1
Level 3

Completed the setup in Marketo. to test, instructions below in docs is indistinct.

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks

SanfordWhiteman

I don't know what your HTTP request was, so I can't tell you why you were having a problem with the response.  You'd have to provide a full trace of your JSON request and the HTTP/JSON response received.

Also can't recommend strongly enough that you use Postman, not your web browser, to develop against APIs. IMO the browser should only be used, if at all, for later debugging when you already know what to expect -- and only if you're using a GET.

What language do you plan to use to develop your app?

Anand_Raj_S1
Level 3

Thanks. Before that, I'd would like to confirm if API can be used when we look to merge duplicates leads with some rules?

Example rules to merge leads:

Rule 1: Email Suspended: Select the checkbox when Email Suspended equals “1”

Rule 2: SEAddedDate: Select the checkbox for the earlier SEAddedDate

Rule 3: First Source: Select the checkbox for the First Lead Source and First Source Detail with the earlier Created At date.

Rule 4: DoE: Select the checkbox when the DoE equals “1” (field name starts with “Send_”)

SanfordWhiteman

You can build this logic but not with the Merge Lead API alone.

You would have to examine the multiple leads, propagate the winning field values to the winning lead, then merge the leads.

Anand_Raj_S1
Level 3

Ok, thanks

Chris_Morris1
Level 4

Thanks for this, Sanford Whiteman! My rudimentary understanding of this would allow the API to dedupe/merge leads as they were added to Marketo. Is there a way to use the API on established, identified duplicates in a static list, by chance?