An interesting way to hide an unsubscribe link

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

An interesting way to hide an unsubscribe link

This message is not intended to show sides of a political debate. It is meant to highlight a way that an unsubscribe link is hidden.

I subscribe to political emails from all parties because I like to see how they're crafted. This one caught my eye:

Chrome Legacy Window 992016 35330 PM.bmp.jpg

If you notice, all of the links in this message are underlined except one - the unsubscribe link.

Looking at the HTML:

Getting emails from Hillary for America is one of the best ways to stay in touch with this campaign, but if you really want to scale back, click <a href="https://www.hillaryclinton.com/forms/less-email/?utm_source=sp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2016090... (2)&utm_term=Hyperlink_20151113_111649308"&name="Hyperlink_20151113_111649308" target="_blank" >here</a> to receive less email and click <a href="http://links.hillaryclinton.com/ui/modules/display/optOut.jsp?m=26435709&r=MzU1MDAwODg3NzEwS0&j=ODgx...

0&mt=2&rj=ODgxNDcyNDMwS0&rt=0" name="optout" style="text-decoration: none;" target="_blank" >here</a> to unsubscribe.

Have any of you other marketers utilized clever ways to obfuscate your unsubscribe links?

Robb Barrett
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: An interesting way to hide an unsubscribe link

Wow, that is pretty interesting

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also not staying with the spirit of the law.  It should be easy for people to unsubscribe.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

yeah, there's no reason to try to "hide" the link. I doubt this is technically illegal, but it's pointless fuzziness.

I also have this email and found it entertaining because some of Hillary's were so long. I was actually a bit disinclined to unsubscribe just because it was funny....and then they started sending me 4 emails/day.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi all,

As Jamie, I am not sure this is in the spirit of the laws in most western countries....

Greg

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

<insert lighthearted joke about email servers>

Robb Barrett