Re: Am I able to register info.example.com as a subdomain name?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I able to register info.example.com as a subdomain name?

We are setting up a landing page in Marketo:

http://info.onvia.com/BobIsMyPage.html

I wanted the above Marketo landing page to appear under a pathname on Onvia.com through using a symlink

- So if you type in the following URL www.onvia.com/analytics the Marketo landing page would appear

In order to do this, I would need to create the subdomain info.onvia.com. Will this mess up my other landing pages under the info.onvia.com?

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Blake,

Sure it will. you cannot have both a CNAME and a sub domain that use the same subdomain info.onvia.com

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Your question is kind of confusing because if you want www.example.com/pathname to display the content of info.example.com/page.html, there's no reason to point info.example.com anywhere other than Marketo. In fact, if you changed it, it would never work, since www needs to read from Mkto!

It sounds like what you want is a simple proxy ("symlink" has no relevance here). A capable sysadmin could set this up instantly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do:

I would like www.onvia.com/analytics to display the content of a Marketo landing page info.onvia.com/BobIsMyPage.html

How would I go about doing that?

SanfordWhiteman

Depends on what webserver you're using. For IIS, ARR. For Apache, mod_proxy. If you're already using a CDN or other reverse proxy (Squid/Varnish) that's where you'd configure it. In all cases it's easy stuff, though if you don't manage your server you'll have to find the right person. This does jump the wall between IT and SaaS so everyone needs to be on the same page.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our web site is hosted on a LAMP stack server.

SanfordWhiteman

OK, so mod_proxy is for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I need to create a mod_proxy to have www.onvia.com/analytics display the content of a Marketo landing page info.onvia.com/BobIsMyPage.htm

SanfordWhiteman

I'd say "Install mod_proxy and configure it to proxy /analytics" but yes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I confirmed that mod_proxy is installed on our server.

So I just need to configure the mod_proxy to have www.onvia.com/analytics display the content of a Marketo landing pageinfo.onvia.com/BobIsMyPage.htm