Allow duplicate lead

Anonymous
Not applicable

Allow duplicate lead

Hello, I am facing the following situation :

I have an external web site sending leads to my web aplication, this web application imports all these leads through soap api, everytime a record is imported to the list, a trigger is fired in order to send an operational email.

What is happening is that the same email is loaded more then once having diferent information used to be sent in the operational email, is there a way to insert duplicate leads or a workaround to handle this ?

Thank you.

Ricardo
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Allow duplicate lead

I'm not sure I understand. The same lead is going through this multiple times, but their other fields are different?

I would first look at why this is happening on the form submit or other ends. Please avoid purposeful dupes as much as you can.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the same lead will be uploaded more than once, everytime with a diferent information in an specifc field, and an email will be sent based on that information.
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@Ricardo T But why?

Don't see the business case for this unless you can explain it further.

You want all these inserts -- which you yourself are calling "the same lead"! -- to become duplicates?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Sanford W, 

One of my customers has a webpage used for their customers to register their interests in some events, one customer can register for more than one event that he wants to participate,each event has diferent names, locations and this information should be sent by email that marketo will handle.
What I did was an upload via webservice (soap api using importToList), every time we have an insert, then the same customer with the same email will send information regardind two diferent events witch has to be sent by email (a confirmation email), as marketo does not allow duplicates, this customer is receiving only one email with the last imported information, when he should be receiving two emails.

thanks
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

[Community swallowed my post, let me summarize.]

So you don't really want to duplicate leads, you want to make sure that you can send an email each time a lead registers for an event.

The problem is you're mixing apples (many-to-one data like event registrations) with oranges (one-to-one fields stored directly on the lead).

You should use another API, such as Create Custom Activity or Request Campaign, or a server-side form post, to store this data.  Running Import To List, which will result in upserts if the lead already exists and leave you with only one field on the lead, isn't appropriate for this task.   Even if you could kick off the email for each field update you would be losing all but one registration, which doesn't make sense.
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Why not just create a separate event program for each of these events and have an event-specific confirmation email sent out when program status is changed to "Registered"?  This will allow the 1:many activity that you desire.  Do you have a program setup for each of your events?