Re: Alert Emails - Trouble Capturing Custom Field Selections using "Checkboxes" Field Type

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Alert Emails - Trouble Capturing Custom Field Selections using "Checkboxes" Field Type

Hi all,

I'm setting up an Alert Email and I'm adding tokens to capture values from their respective form fields. I'm using custom lead fields for certain questions on the form. I've run tests and most of the values are populating in the alert email, but my last question is another custom lead field that is using the "Checkboxes" field type and it has about 20+ values to choose from. When I check multiple values for this question, after I submit the alert email only shows a number "1" for the value. I want the email to display all of the values I selected in the checkboxes of the form. Does anybody know why? When I don't select any of the checkboxes, the alert email will display nothing, not even the default value. 

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Kerlin
5 REPLIES 5
Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Re: Alert Emails - Trouble Capturing Custom Field Selections using "Checkboxes" Field Type

It's possible that you didn't correctly create the form element.  Open up the Checkboxes item on the form and click Advanced Editor, then copy and paste what you see.

If you used a value of "Yes" for each of the lines then you lost the data.  It should look like this:

Option A | Option A

Option B | Option B

Option C | Option C

If you did this:

Option A | Yes

Option B | Yes

Option C | Yes

Then you don't know what they've answered to. It will put in the Yes or True (represented as a 1 in data) for each item they checked.

Robb Barrett
Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Robb, I took a screenshot of the simple and advanced editor - it looks like I'm defining server values the right way?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Tom Kerlin
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Tom,

Yes, it seems to be set correctly. I ran a test and, on ly side, the field does take the multiple values.

Test it at the lead level, look at the lead fields and the lead activity log. If things are correct here, it means there is problem in the email. If the lead values are not what they are supposed to be, the problem is likely on the form.

-Greg

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Thanks Greg,

I submitted a case - the Support Team said I'd need to edit the field and change its type to something like text area in order to see values that were checked, since my custom field is set to a BOOLEAN value - that way if I change my field type for the object itself to "text" I could still use the checkbox to enter in value with checkboxes. The custom object as a checkbox means the field in the database is a checkbox, but I can still limit the entry via the form by leaving those checkboxes and writing the data to a free form box. Only Marketo users would be able to edit the free form text box. I asked for a screenshot.

Tom Kerlin
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Tom,

Yes they are right. A boolean can only tale 0 or 1 as a value...

-Greg