SOLVED

Akamai CDN with Marketo; user IP orgin

Go to solution
Matthew_Matsuok
Level 1

Akamai CDN with Marketo; user IP orgin

Does anyone have experience using Akamai CDN with Marketo? I am a little concerned that Marketo will see all the users coming from Akamai rather than their IP.

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Akamai CDN with Marketo; user IP orgin

Munchkin is recording your pageviews + click activity in Marketo, not the webserver itself.

So even if you access Marketo-hosted pages.example.com or corporate www.example.com via a CDN, Munchkin still sees the your public IP address.

In other words, Munchkin is already ready for this setup, since even small organizations serve content over CDNs these days.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

Munchkin is recording your pageviews + click activity in Marketo, not the webserver itself.

So even if you access Marketo-hosted pages.example.com or corporate www.example.com via a CDN, Munchkin still sees the your public IP address.

In other words, Munchkin is already ready for this setup, since even small organizations serve content over CDNs these days.

Nadish_Nair
Level 2

It seems you plan to use Akamai CDN for hosting static resources, like images, JS and CSS ??

If so, any user who is coming to the Marketo landing pages then Akamai CDN will render above and if a user is cookied and is coming from Akamai, then yes Marketo will know that user.

SanfordWhiteman

The Munchkin lead isn't "coming from Akamai" -- see my answer.

SanfordWhiteman

It seems you plan to use Akamai CDN for hosting static resources, like images, JS and CSS ??

Also keep in mind CDNs can be used for HTML documents as long as the data does not have to be refreshed from the origin server (i.e. a document that contains static markup and/or scaffolding, with all dynamic data pulled over XHR, can be served via CDN just as well).

And as I mentioned, this does not impact Munchkin at all as the end user does not originate from Akamai (just like the Google Analytics end user doesn't originate from Akamai).

Matthew_Matsuok
Level 1

Stanford,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. We did some testing and we confirmed that Marketo was seeing the correct end user IP. We had issues with CloudFlare previously so I assumed the same issue would come up with Akamai; but this was not the case.

Regards,

Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see Matt says Akamai is fine. Has anyone had successful implementation of the Marketo domain behind Cloudflare?