SOLVED

Ads in E-Newsletter

Go to solution
JK_BI
Level 1

Ads in E-Newsletter

I am trying to add an ad tag to an e-newsletter template but I need to understand the various macros or variables Marketo requires. I have not been able to find this information anywhere. Does anyone have any advice on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Oz_Platero
Level 6

Re: Ads in E-Newsletter

Hello @JK_BI ,

Could you elaborate a bit more on what you are trying to accomplish?

In a high level to leverage variables in Email templates you have 2 steps.

1) Declare variables, and

2) then you use them.

* Example in the head section you define a variable. Here we define what a variable will be in terms of type, ID, default values, etc. Then later in the email template will will insert the variable and use the ID "textHeader" so matches what we defined previously.

<head>

<meta class="mktoString" id="textHeader" mktoName="Text Header" default="Replace With Header INFO">

</head>

[more code - omitted for illustration]

<!-- Header text goes here -->

<div>

<h1> ${textHeader}</h1>

</div>

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Email+Template+Syntax#EmailTemplateSyntax-Variables

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Oz_Platero
Level 6

Hello @JK_BI ,

Could you elaborate a bit more on what you are trying to accomplish?

In a high level to leverage variables in Email templates you have 2 steps.

1) Declare variables, and

2) then you use them.

* Example in the head section you define a variable. Here we define what a variable will be in terms of type, ID, default values, etc. Then later in the email template will will insert the variable and use the ID "textHeader" so matches what we defined previously.

<head>

<meta class="mktoString" id="textHeader" mktoName="Text Header" default="Replace With Header INFO">

</head>

[more code - omitted for illustration]

<!-- Header text goes here -->

<div>

<h1> ${textHeader}</h1>

</div>

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Email+Template+Syntax#EmailTemplateSyntax-Variables

JK_BI
Level 1

Thank you for your response! The ad tag that I have is from Passendo, an email ad serving provider. The ad tag contains these two values,  "EMAIL" and "SENDOUT_ID" which need to be replaced with the correct Marketo macros or variables. EMAIL is referring to the email of the user, and SENDOUT_ID is the unique id of each sendout  - if no unique sendout ID is being used, we can use a timestamp as well, or a combination of macros for 'day', 'month' and 'year'. I am hoping to figure out what Marketo variables I need to include for EMAIL and SENDOUT_ID.

Oz_Platero
Level 6

Hello @JK_BI ,

Thanks for clarifying.

It sounds like you could get by with mostly Marketo tokens.  You may need velocity scripting if you have a preference for how to display Datetimes.

Email -> {{lead.Email Address}}

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Tokens+Overview#TokensOverview-PersonTokens

Dates

SENDOUT_ID

• Marketo does generate values for something similar, but probably not the same thing you have in mind.  You will need to open email headers to review Marketo's pattern for this.  Marketo support can help you with this as sometimes you get emails and you need to figure out what Marketo asset sent it.  You use a pattern need to work backwards to figure out where it lives and what sent it in Marketo. [Return-Path: followed by a sequence of you letters and your munckin ID]. I do not how much value you can get from this and it may be different than what you intend to generate, but it is a consistent pattern.

Thank you,

oz