Adding unique IDs to URL Query Strings

Angus_McCann1
Level 3

Adding unique IDs to URL Query Strings

Our business has a lead field called "uniqueID" that we use to identify unique devices/people in our database that have created an account on our site.

Right now, that uniqueID is stored in an "Account Custom Object" that holds all the other account information - First Name, Last Name, Address, Company, etc.

We want to add the uniqueID as query string to all URLs in Marketo that point to our website. I know we can use Velocity Scripting to append that to urls as a token, however, not all people in our database have an account with us and therefore don't have the Account Custom Object.

My question is three parts:

1. If a user doesn't have a uniqueID and we use velocity scripting to append it to urls as part of a query string, will the link break?

2. Is there a way to have a field in a Custom Object like uniqueID be populated into a regular contact field?

3. Is this something Marketo already does? I feel like I've read somewhere else before that Marketo had a recent release or upcoming release where the Marketo ID would be appended as a query string onto all urls, but it's not something that I've come across when searching.
2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Adding unique IDs to URL Query Strings

1. If a user doesn't have a uniqueID and we use velocity scripting to append it to urls as part of a query string, will the link break?

Nope, in Velocity just make sure you only append it if it's non-empty.

where else before that Marketo had a recent release or upcoming release where the Marketo ID would be appended as a query string onto all urls, but it's not something that I've come across when searching.

2. Is there a way to have a field in a Custom Object like uniqueID be populated into a regular contact field?

Not in any automated fashion, no. You'd have to update the flat field when you update the CO.

3. Is this something Marketo already does? I feel like I've read somewhere else before that Marketo had a recent release or upcoming release where the Marketo ID would be appended as a query string onto all urls, but it's not something that I've come across when searching.

Well no, there's no such automated append, but even if there were, you said you have another field (not the Marketo ID).

Angus_McCann1
Level 3

Re: Adding unique IDs to URL Query Strings

Thanks Sanford!

While we do have our own uniqueID, it would just require less operational work on our end if Marketo was already doing this with the Marketo ID.