Re: Adding flexible layout blocks to email templates

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding flexible layout blocks to email templates

Hi,

is there a way to create HTML email templates with reusable flexible layout blocks?

A perfect solution would be an area which is marked as editable and where editors can drag and drop layout blocks; like a rich text editor, an image, a 2 column layout etc.

I'm searching for a way to create easy to use email templates for editors without any HTML knowledge – otherwise I would have to create tons of templates for every possible use case like webinar or whitepaper announcements, newsletters etc.. The editors would be very flexible with reusable layout blocks, but I would keep control over design. Or does anyone knows an alternative approach?

Best regards

Achim

6 REPLIES 6
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Achim,

The mkteditable class can be added to any div in your email template to make that section editable by the end user.  The article below has more information on this.

John

Add Editable Sections to an Email Template - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi John,

thanks for your answer. I already use this conventional way but it doesn't provide the flexibility I need because I have to define everything in advance and a user without HTML knowledge doesn't have the ability to customize a table etc.

Best regards

Achim

Stijn_Heijthuij
Level 7

Hi Achim,

Your best bet is to do this with Snippets. It's not like some other email marketing / marketing automation tools, but it will allow for a certain level of flexibility.

In these Snippets you can then have the text areas be tokens which can be filled in by the marketers.

An example:

You have a template with a block for a Call to Action. This block can be replaced by the 1 CTA or 2 CTA Snippet. The text and URL in these blocks would be {{my.cta-1-text}} and {{my.cta-2-text}}. In the program, the marketer can then edit the text in the CTA. Same goes for the URL.

Hope this helps.

Stijn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stijn,

thanks for your helpful answer. I assume this is the way to go … I tried it with snippets but thought they won't be editable by the marketer. I'll try the snippet/token combination.

Thanks!!

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you want removable blocks like in Guided LP Templates, then you really need to setup several versions of an Email Template. Otherwise, there is no guarantee on the formatting, etc.

Tokens *may* help a bit here if you setup your programs and email templates consistently.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Vote here :  

Greg