SOLVED

Adding SMS Unsubscribes from Twilio to Marketo using Zapier

Go to solution
Trevor_Sparks
Level 2

Adding SMS Unsubscribes from Twilio to Marketo using Zapier

We've set up SMS messaging through Twilio. We'd like to update records in Marketo if they've opted out of our SMS messages.

Trying to do this through Zapier. If an SMS message to our Twilio number matches "STOP," then update the Marketo record of the "from" mobile number as unsubscribed from SMS (custom field).

Unfortunately, it looks like Zapier needs an email address to update a Marketo record or to add the record to a list. We likely won't have email addresses for these records.

Any workarounds to this? Or another way to push SMS opt outs from Twilio into Marketo?

I understand we can get a programmer to develop a solution for us but wanted to exhaust this avenue first. The volume of opt-outs won't be that great.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Adding SMS Unsubscribes from Twilio to Marketo using Zapier

Yeah, such are the problems with using branded "connectors" that only perform a couple of fixed functions.

You can use a custom "Code by Zapier" type Zap to do this. But you must dedupe on a custom String field, not on the built-in Mobile Phone field itself (you can keep the custom field in sync with Mobile Phone using a Data Value Changes/Change Data Value campaign).

Compared to building a fully custom API gateway to do the same thing, coding within Zapier is clumsier. The theoretical advantage is if you already trust Zapier then it's hosted on the same platform. Then again, an AWS APIGW + Lambda function is equally reliable. Speaking from direct experience, as I literally built something in AWS this past weekend that I'm forced to redo 99% of in Zapier for another client this week, the former is superior... but both can work.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yeah, such are the problems with using branded "connectors" that only perform a couple of fixed functions.

You can use a custom "Code by Zapier" type Zap to do this. But you must dedupe on a custom String field, not on the built-in Mobile Phone field itself (you can keep the custom field in sync with Mobile Phone using a Data Value Changes/Change Data Value campaign).

Compared to building a fully custom API gateway to do the same thing, coding within Zapier is clumsier. The theoretical advantage is if you already trust Zapier then it's hosted on the same platform. Then again, an AWS APIGW + Lambda function is equally reliable. Speaking from direct experience, as I literally built something in AWS this past weekend that I'm forced to redo 99% of in Zapier for another client this week, the former is superior... but both can work.

Trevor_Sparks
Level 2

Thank you. I appreciate the response and will look into that further.

Tyron_Pretorius
Level 8 - Champion

@Trevor_Sparks I actually built out this exact workflow in Zapier!

https://theworkflowpro.com/2-way-sms-marketo/

In the post above, I show how to:

• Parse the inbound message for the "STOP" or "START" keyword
  • Use the Marketo REST API to lookup the lead's email based on their phone number
  • Use the lead's email to update their SMS subscription to TRUE or FALSE
Tyron Pretorius