Re: Adding Marketo Tracking to SDR emails? (not through Marketo)

Yoav_Guttman1
Level 4

Adding Marketo Tracking to SDR emails? (not through Marketo)

We are having a lot of issues launching/integrating/syncing Marketo Sales Insight with our older existing database. From what I understand, one of the best ways to sync an existing lead with the actual person's activities is to get them to click a link in your email. (Our forms are hosted on Unbounce so that is another story entirely). Clearly, this is one of the goals of marketing.

But I was also thinking that our sales people are emailing leads all the time and leads may click in those emails. My question is this:

Is there some kind of link parameter or addition that I can get them to add to the links they are sending out (not through Marketo) which will associate the lead with a munckin ID?

The desired result is that someone who clicks into their emails will now have their activity tracking on the Marketo Sales Insight in Salesforce.

things to note:

- they are not using Outlook, so the MSI plugin is not an option.

**moved to Products, rather than Marketing Central (12/23/16)**

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Is there some kind of link parameter or addition that I can get them to add to the links they are sending out (not through Marketo) which will associate the lead with a munckin ID?

This is really 2 questions:

1. Is there a parameter? Yes, there is. 2 different types, actually.

2. Can you get them to add it? Can't say. How organized are they, and how concerned about this problem?

When sending bulk email through a 3rd-party (say, through another ESP, an ad partner, a greeting card sender, mail blaster app, etc.) there are parameters you can provide to the sender to ensure that resulting web activity is tracked.

But sounds like you're talking about individual 3rd-party sends ("emailing leads all the time"). You can give them a spreadsheet of leads + their tracking links and/or a form they can use to get the link for a given lead -- but will they use it?  You're not going to be hooking into their email app and forcibly adding the tracking link to their URLs. Think of it like requiring someone to always use UTM codes in person-to-person emails. They have to see the value or they'll just ignore the "requirement" since it isn't enforced.

Yoav_Guttman1
Level 4

So there are definitely different situations going on here. My SDRs do actually use a 3rd party tool, so at the minimum, if we could get tracking on those links that they send out, that would be beneficial.

What is the documentation on that? Where would I look? What are the solutions?

Sanford Whiteman

SanfordWhiteman

Hold tight and I'll publish on my blog in a few days (trying for no more than 1 post per day to pace myself and I have some others in line). You get some insight into Method A (I prefer Method B myself) via my answers to https://nation.marketo.com/message/149052#comment-149052.

Yoav_Guttman1
Level 4

cant wait...that response you posted looks like it pushes me in the right direction...though i think i need some translation and direction on the Base64 stuff...and whether or not I need to add that code only my website/blog/landing pages

Yoav_Guttman1
Level 4

i mean 'can't wait' as in, looking forward to it. 

SanfordWhiteman

You'd technically only need the "receiver" code on a page that can get these visits from 3rd-party sends. However, since you will be marketing more and more pages over time, it makes sense to add the code to all pages, where it will intelligently fire only as needed.