Re: Add to SFDC Campaign Can Use Numerical Values (i.e. not the traditional SFDC ID)

Edwin_Afable1
Level 2

Add to SFDC Campaign Can Use Numerical Values (i.e. not the traditional SFDC ID)

Hello Marketo community,

I recently discovered that populating a numerical value into the flow step, Add to SFDC Campaign, can cause it to add to a Salesforce campaign. Is this intended behavior?

pastedImage_0.png

The flow step has a token that generates either or Salesforce ID or numerical ID used for something different. In this screenshot above, the token's value was 10287 vs a Salesforce ID.

Here's the flow step:

pastedImage_1.png

Any thoughts or insights appreciated

10 REPLIES 10
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Add to SFDC Campaign Can Use Numerical Values (i.e. not the traditional SFDC ID)

While SFDC IDs always contain alpha characters in reality, and are of a fixed (padded) length, in theory they are merely alphanumeric strings, as is "10287".

Edwin_Afable1
Level 2

Alright, that makes sense. It is not a safe idea to assume a Salesforce campaign association would not occur if you provide a non-traditional ID (either 15 or 18 digit). Thanks as always

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Edwin,

I would be curious to know what campaign Marketo added the lead to. In other terms, to what campaign the association was made and how it was found based on the 10287 value.

-Greg

Edwin_Afable1
Level 2

Sure. I can share that '10287' somehow added it to a Salesforce campaign with the ID, '7010d000001JiSA'

With regards to how it was found based on the 10287 value.. your guess is as good as mine.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

??

Is there any other field in the campaign that could match this value ? The campaign should be found by name or SFDC ID.

The flow step should return a "skip lead", not add to an actual campaign.

This is extremely strange.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

And also, what happens if you search SFDC for the value 10287 ?

Edwin_Afable1
Level 2

Nothing happens when searching in Salesforce (even using Search All)

I also think it's strange and anticipated that Marketo would skip or fail to add to a SFDC campaign and return a malformed ID type of error. There is no other field that references this number; the two are completely unrelated. The 10287 just happened to trigger an email that was set specifically for being added to that SFDC campaign.

To add more color, we have a process that pushes either a Salesforce ID or generic numerical ID into a field that is used as a token for campaign association if it is indeed a Salesforce ID. When building this process, I didn't anticipate it to have successful campaign associations for non-SFDC ID values.

Edwin_Afable1
Level 2

To clarify, the trigger itself doesn't refer to any value of 10287, and is an Added to SFDC Campaign, trigger.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

I think that's worth a support case and a transmission to PM.

-Greg

Louiza Verykiou